Two weeks... Miss the accompaniment of the glass. It almost became a living entity, a friend, a passion

Hey guys. Been at this for years without a true success, but it feels different this time. The worst part for me right now is feeling like I can’t enjoy things I enjoy without a drink. Something like painting, even. Advice or any words, anyone? X

3 Likes

everything I did was with alcohol so everything then becomes a trigger. I realised I did most things not bc I enjoyed them but it was to pass the time while I drank. A couple of things I’ve manged to put back in my life like being able to watch a film to the end or going for a long walk or like today going out for a meal without alcohol. What was once boredom I now call relaxing. Give it time bc if its a true passion eventually it will find its way back into your life. You may replace some old habits with new hobbies or just learn to be happy in your own body and mind in the knowledge that just for now sober is enough. Well done on your sober days BTW.

5 Likes

In my treatment I wrote a goodbye letter to my dear friend addiction.

It might help you to out a little emotional distance between you and your habit.

I recognize you feel like missing something in random activities had the same in the beginning.

5 Likes

I am only on day 2 but I feel you I am wondering the same thing if i can enjoy cleaning watching Netflix sitting there with my beer and whiskey I don’t even know if I know how anymore. So used to doing stuff drinking. I am sure I will as will you. I am going to try not to push it i dont’ want a urge to drink come in bbq is gonna be hard to but I guess with time it will get better.

2 Likes

Like any new skill it takes time and practice to master. Once I started my stepwork and had a few months of daily attendance in AA I was able to soberly enjoy everything I used to do while drunk or high. Of course I’ve changed a few things as far as my activities. I know longer spend 10 hour shifts working a barstool. I haven’t had much occasion to shoot up on a dirty couch in a crackhouse. I really don’t spend much time parked on a corner in the hood. I do, however, go to concerts, the movies, sporting events, hiking, biking, cook outs, comedy shows, food festivals and a bunch of other stuff. This all became possible because of what I’ve learned in AA.

5 Likes

This is a golden nugget.

Time was I couldn’t just sit and relax without a drink, without giving my mind a place to go, I thoroughly enjoy it now.

Give it time, may have felt like a lifetime to get to this point, may feel like I don’t know if I can go a lifetime without. Well you don’t have to go a lifetime, just today, it’s always just for today. I’m approaching 800 days, all I gotta do is stay sober today, and I’m doing it right.

It does get easier. Keep trudging your road.

4 Likes

I was told in AA if you really want to go out and drink, then do it. When you’re ready to stop, you will. I’m 11 months 6 days without a drink.

2 Likes

I’m an addict with a lot of drugs of choice.

My inner addict often tries to convince me of how bleak and blah the world looks without social lubricant or getting high to be creative or selfish sex. After making it through withdrawals and doing the work required to address the underlying character defects I have, things start to look brighter. A brain thats been flooded with dopamine for decades requires a bit of an adjustment period and a support network.

I try to focus on 24 hrs at a time. Take manageable bites. There’s also a lot of self acceptance that occurs each day. I’m not perfect, my recovery isn’t perfect, there’s gonna be bad days. Drink, drugs, and sex is a bandaid for my gaping wound. But through practice and by sharing my fears, resentments, selfishness, and dishonesty I can let go of my illusions of needing to be perfect and really be present for others.

3 Likes

It takes time, I thought about the same when I quit. That anything won’t be as fun anymore. I’m close to 80 days and only now starting to really enjoy the free time and activities without the booze. Yes, even the old activities what I used to do while drinking.

It still feels weird from time to time but I’m learning and adjusting every day. I guess that’s just what humans do, eventually. Just give yourself enough time to re-arrange things and thoughts and you’ll get there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@mmm94
I wrote about this, a while back.
Originally, I was responding to someone who was asking the same question : How do you cope with losing your best friend?

3 Likes

wow. thank you.

1 Like

How are you doing today?

I messaged you

i think? did you get it?

1 Like

You have to become a version of yourself that doesn’t need alcohol. take this as a restart button, you can be someone with passion and reason just look into yourself and not into a bottle. Xoxo still rooting for you

2 Likes