UK/Ireland members My Alcohol addiction on Channel 5

It’s his journey to cut down from c. 80-100 units a week to c.25 if he’s being honest about the volumes he drinks.

It’s a doc about goals to moderate rather than get sober so it could be a bit triggering. The big thing I noticed was the people who wanted to cut down and managed still seemed so focused on planning when they would drink which I found a bit sad, as they’re still trapped with that mental obsession.

He also visited SMART recovery.

You’ll get it on iPlayer.

It’s not for me to say whether he has a problem or not, but he drinks a lot and you can see he is really struggling with it in his head.

I saw a bit where he was lying on a bed with anxiety about an app on his phone.

I was in the supermarket today and overheard a conversation between 2 “gin buddies” one was saying “God I can’t wait till this dry January thing is over, I’m really struggling!”
in thought she might need to look at that! It am I just being judgemental!???:joy:

Just a sober observation, it’s amazing what you see.

I was in Glasgow yesterday and was taken aback by the spike in homeless people and addicts on the streets, one openly having a heated argument with an advertising board in broad daylight with no one else around him.

Not exaggerating, but I saw at least 30 in less than an hour in the city centre. I felt completely hopeless to be able to help them and it was heartbreaking to see the depths it can all lead to.

Very grateful to have found this path.

1 Like

Hi @NewPerspective just watched my alcohol addiction…I thought it was a good programme. No background narration just the people talking about their problem with alcohol… nothing glamorous about it and really powerful! Alcohol destroys people and causes such pain to those around us…it was good to see the positive outcomes for most of the people interviewed…the TV presenter guy unfortunately thinks he is different…I hope he is but doubt he will be…