Uncontrollable thinking

Hello. I’m attempting to regain my sobriety and refrain from alcohol. I have struggled for the last ten years. I have my ups and downs. I do well for a while and then I slip off track. This time around I have never been so sick of myself, like truly sick of myself. I hate the why I am and I hate that I feel so powerless and choose to drink to cope with this crazy thoughts that consume me. I can’t turn my mind off of negative things and my mind races all the time. When it gets to be too much this is when I turn to alcohol. Does anyone have suggestions or things they do that help them tune out the mind racing ? I feel like I’m driving myself crazy and I just want to be at peace. I’m close to 24 hours sober and i got to get it right this time bc I feel like if I don’t I never will. I think I finally
Hit my rock bottom.

19 Likes

Welcome T. I feel that by coming here you have set your first step towards quitting drinking successfully. Because we can’t do this alone. We need each other. We need our peers. Meetings can help, in person or online. Many different possibilities for that of which AA is the best known but by far not the only. This place can help. Read around here, gain knowledge about drinking, about alcohol, about addiction, about how to fight addiction. Share. Support. Be supported. We’re in this together friend and I’m glad you’re here. Strength in numbers.

One thing I’d like to say about what you tell us. I think these crazy thoughts that consume you come from drinking. So it’s the other way around. Alcohol doesn’t help you, or us, cope with our problems. It just makes them worse and worse. Alcohol is the worst coping mechanism there is. We need other coping mechanism to make it in life. Healthy ones. We need a plan to make it through life sober. For example, have a look at this thread. One of the most helpful here. But there’s much more. Take your time. Welcome again and wishing you all success friend.

10 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

Congratulations on your 24 hours - you made it through day 1 that’s brilliant.

For me I had to keep life, things, people, tasks simple and basic. I had to take some rest days when my mind wanted to do daily tasks, stuff that could wait.
Be kind to yourself. :hibiscus:

Your doing amazing I’m so glad you are here with us because it’s full of so much support.

Hope to see you around :sunflower:

10 Likes

Beside making a solid plan as Menno already suggested I would advice you to be here a lot.
Use the time you normally put into your drinking into your recovery. Here on this forum is so much good info to find about how to become and stay sober. Use the magnifying glass above this page to find all the older threads here.
If you have cravings, come here to talk! There is always someone awake here :sunglasses:

And about the uncontrollable thinking? What helps me is to work out ore going for a walk outside with an interesting podcast to listen to.
Maybe it’s worth a try?

3 Likes

Welcome T! Glad you found us. :blush:
From experience, I learned just trying to refrain from alcohol was never enough. I had to immerse myself into a recovery program. Sure, it took a lot of time away from my family in the early days, but I needed that time to work on becoming a better version of myself. Now my family benefits from it too.
What are you willing to do to stay sober? How about an Intensive outpatient program? AA? Smart recovery? Dharma Recovery? The list of options goes on and on. Take advantage of what’s out there.

3 Likes

I start an out patient program this month on the 15th. I’ve been on a waiting list for a while and I’m looking forward to hopefully this being a new beginning. I have tried so long to control my drinking on my own and I just can’t do it by myself. I crave some euphoric feeling to feel good and at the moments I drink it seems to do the trick, yet the next day so much disappointment and not feeling well take place. I’m trying to self medicate myself and it’s not working. I’ve been very open with others whom I am close to and have started to openly admit I need help, something I hid for so long. Thank you for the advice I’m going to use this app as much as I need too. I’ve told myself I’m quitting alcohol so many times. I hope this time I’m strong enough to kick it.

6 Likes

I went the outpatient program route too. It gave me the foundation I needed to move onto AA. I hope you have as good of an experience as I had.

2 Likes

I had quite a bump in my sobriety at around day 472. I’ll touch on that in a second. Part of my D-day to sobriety was lining up some counseling and also some medical help (read: meds to deal with withdrawals/DTs). At any rate, I have been on antidepressants for a while but after the events of day 472 I was on a completely new level of thought. I ended up seeking out a psychiatrist and talking about my overwhelming, intrusive thoughts, panic attacks and constant ruminations. In the end I was diagnosed with OCD (more obsessive with some minor compulsions - I must have symmetry for example). Anyway, after some new meds and a couple of months those started to recede to the background. Just a couple of weeks ago I had a follow up and we discussed the fact that I was starting to obsess over the events of day 472 again and that the thoughts were becoming a daily/constant intrusion like before. We had a good therapeutic conversation about it and upped my OCD medication by double (apparently not uncommon in the first 3-6 months of OCD treatment).
This may not be your path, but I would highly encourage some sort of behavioral health approach. Like many others have already said, you made it past day 1 again, keep coming here to talk and get support and accept help wherever you find it, you are not alone!

5 Likes

Try reading “Feeling Good” by Dr. David Burns and “Don’t give the enemy a seat at your table” by Louis Gigilio.

3 Likes