Unexpected anxiety

Wow. Thought I was coasting along just fine, and horrible anxiety has come out of nowhere. Getting ready to have a birthday party for my almost five year old, and I feel like I’m about to come out of my skin. Ugh.

I’m not going to drink, but…damn.

5 Likes

Sorry you’re feeling this way. Take some reset time, practice some breathing exercises and hand the anxiety over, know that it will pass. I often just go and grab a few minutes to breath and bring myself back to the moment and that’s all it takes.

If it doesn’t pass make sure you talk to your sponsor.

3 Likes

It sure can bite when you least expect it. I recently read some great advice that might help. :wink:

Deeeeeep breaths…

1 Like

Is there anything that you did in the past that worked?

My last solution lately is to countdown from 25 outloud. I can’t concentrate of course but I repeat the number until I can keep counting down to the next until zero.
I am here if you want to talk. Feel free to pm.

1 Like

I understand anxiety. It literally wakes me up in the middle of the night and I can’t go back to sleep! When that happens I start praying and it goes away, then I will fall back asleep and then wake up from it again. Prob bc I’ve only been sober for 2 days, again. Cant wait to hit my 8 month mark again!!

2 Likes

Stop, gather your thoughts and breathe, hold for 10, and breath out. Children’s parties are hectic at the best of times, simplifying your thoughts and write it down. Do you know or understand what is making you anxious?
You can do this your strong and rational and remember it’s a great day to be sober

1 Like

It will ease with time just be patient and do some mediation it helps alot :blush:I’m 15 days sober and I still gets moments of anxiety or the horrors as they say :joy:but not as strong as the first few days were awful

I’m right there with you Holly. Not very unexpected, but definitely more than I was expecting. I’m feeling so overwhelmed. But I’m not drinking. Sorry to make it about me :/, just had to get it out there, especially to you. Hope you’re doing ok and I’m always here if you need me.

3 Likes

They can really jump out at you can those ghosts of anxiety. I have to imagine a clock face and with every inward and outward breath the hands of the clock move a quarter hr around the circle. I stay with the clock face and my breath as long as I can until the anxiety ghost clears off. Happy birthday to your lovely little housemate by the way! XX

1 Like

Everyone, thank you. With your help, I was able to breathe my way through the worst of that anxiety. I used to have episodes like that quite often, but it had been a long time. The intensity just took me off guard - especially knowing that I soon had to host a party. The good news is that my little boy had a grand time - and I survived. Going to end the evening with some lemongrass tea and a long bubble bath.

Again - many thanks, friends. I am still without a sponsor, and I could not reach either of the women I usually call. I so appreciate being able to come here and talk through it.:heart:

6 Likes

Hey! I know how you feel conpletely. If i didnt have a drink the next day my anxiety would be terrible. I went to my doctor yesterday and thankfully put me on something to help my nerves and cravings and it has helped tremendously. My daughter turns 5 this month as well so i know the overwhelming feeling. Your not alone#

2 Likes