Unexpected trigger!

So, I am 12 days in and doing okay, until tonight. I came home from the gym, feeling great and went to sit down with a snack. The minute I brought the damn cheese and crackers out, I heard the bottle of wine, scream my name. Happy to say, the cheese was dumped and no wine taken. CHEESE CANNOT BE MY TRIGGER :sob::sob::sob:

7 Likes

Give it time and try again. Good choice though for this time! You did great!! As you get more time under your belt and the more of these situations you say no to, the easier it gets. We change our lives and build our sober muscles along the way. Excellent job!

6 Likes

girl, i’m triggered by warm weather (warm nights drinking, or day drinking in the sun) - hellooooo, summer! drowning myself in seltzer water. :frowning:

2 Likes

I will give up the wine, but the cheese has to stay LOL #priorities

2 Likes

I hear ya. I am going into hibernation for next few months, or I will be hearing Margarita calling my name :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its not a trigger. A trigger is something that, like a trigger of a gun, when pulled starts a series of events that cannot be undone. Are you going to give cheese that much power over you? Think of it as a stressor. Something that makes you uncomfortable or irritable for a little bit. That is something you can over come.

Keep saying no to the drink and it gets better

8 Likes

Move to the U.K. we don’t get nice weather often :joy:

7 Likes

Same with the gym, I want to go out to dinner after. So I just don’t go to the gym😂

I started this sober thing last September, I’m finally able to eat pasta and pizza without feeling I’m missing out by not having wine.

I guess I should go to the gym with that diet :laughing:

5 Likes

haha! i’ve been the past 2 winters - i wake up in the early am and it already feels like 6pm because of the gloom! i’d need those SAD lamps throughout the house to get me through :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Recognize that one :hugs: I have the same when I eat pizza! When I do my head starts rambling: wine, wine, wine!! It’s the habit of combining the pizza with the wine in my old days.
Well in my old days I combine the wine with everything… :persevere: But the pizza thing is very triggering for me.

1 Like

I’m so glad you mentioned warm weather! Because I don’t remember a summer I have gone through without Drinking. It seems so easy and carefree. I think it doesn’t help that I don’t have any negative memories during the summer. All my depressing rock bottoms happened in the winter. (Definitely important to keep in mind)

But maybe you should try kombucha, or Pom juice with cheese. Something strong, tart and non alcoholic, it might help.
I’ve also given up cheese for health reasons but just thinking about Brie makes me want to eat an entire wedge lol.

2 Likes

Since I stopped the wine, I haven’t had a single piece of cheese.

Lol. Wine was my trigger for cheese, not the other way around :joy:

3 Likes

I always had a nice big glass of wine to go with my wine. Food was never invited to the party.
:dizzy_face:

1 Like

I’m not quite sure I would call that a trigger rather than a habit. It just takes time to learn new habits. So sit down with that cheese but drink something else with it, maybe tea, maybe juice, maybe club soda… Breaking habits can be hard but they can happen with time.

3 Likes