Upcoming vacation

Hi , I’m Sophie
Im here 72 days and this is my first post. I love this site and the daily advice and support I get from just just reading posts. I’m just wondering has anyone any advice on staying sober on holidays, I’m sober 72 days. It’s a family holiday and I’m dreading it since getting sober. I don’t know if my will power enough… Any motivation ,support or advice would be much appreciated.

1 Like

That’s a big question. We can give you several ideas but without knowing what you do for your recovery it difficult. So program? What do you do currently?

I’m currently working off will power , I have not joined a program or been in treatment. I’m looking into starting AA but have yet to join a group.

@Sophie, if you have the support of family, schedule fun things to do that avoid places where you can drink. 72 days is awesome and has taken some work, think back to the reasons why you stopped, the feelings and emotions that made you stop. You can drink anything just not alcohol, so see it as an opportunity to try as many different alternatives that are non alcoholic. You deserve to enjoy and remember your holiday as the best time where you fought your demon and won!! Good luck👍

Sorry, above meant as response to @Sanna

Thank you @Sherr56 I think my main problem is reassurance , iv been to this place 3 times and everytime iv been there I remember hardly any of the holiday. I do have the support of my family only I know they like there drink almost as much as I did. I think I might be overthinking it abit , I feel I’m going to ruin there holiday or be the " boring" one. Thank you for your advice, I appreciated it

Okay so here’s a few things I would suggest. Before the trip grab a book or two. One could be self improvement/recovery one to just escape from stress in. Make a list of your benefits of sobriety. Make a list of what could happen if you return to your addiction. Take those two with you and read them a few times a day. It’s kinda like what are you willing to give up to be able to drink again? Plan out some you moments. Try to meditate and exercise it helps keep your mind out of all the muck. Just a few real quick. And truly don’t feel shy about going to a meeting They are not as bad as you have dreamt. I actually love them. But you can sure visit one when you are ready

Thank you @Chad_R that is a brilliant idea about making lists I think I’ll definitely do that and keep it with me. I’m reading too books at the moment , the naked mind and a million little pieces I’m almost finished , if you’ve any books that you could recommend that would be great. I am definitely going to have to sit down and have a serious thought about AA, when I finally admitted I was an addict alot of people bushed it off and said “I’m too young” ( I’m 23) or that I simply wasn’t an addict , and since for some reason iv been too nervous to go to an AA meeting.

Addiction will not discriminate so once you have had enough you can leave it behind your. I sure don’t want to push you into AA. It’s okay to be where you are! Just keep moving forward. Here’s a suggestion too. SMART recovery has a workbook and it’s fairly decent priced I hear. Maybe you can take it with you a do a few things in there if you need to. I’m going to tag someone with personal experience with it. @Bill_Phillips. It’s a non secular program. And I’m not exactly knowledgeable about it. But definitely think the CBT teaching is valid too.

1 Like

Not at all , getting the courage to go to AA is all apart of it. Iv never heard of Smart recovery I’ll definately have a look into getting it to keep me busy , even in the evenings as thats when the cravings will arrive. Thanks for your help @Chad_R

1 Like

I know bill says it’s on amazon. But I have not ever looked. If you have access to the board take us with you. And when you need just reach out.

I dont do aa but for me the way alcohol makes me feel the next day steers me away. The fuzzy head, dragging unmotivated mornings, feeling like i took mineral spirits the night before… id rather have my soda or juice and a sober next morning… this may not work for all. Maybe a thought to chew on

Hey Sophie, I have been on 3 sober vacations over the past year to a place I have visited 35 times over 20 years drinking all day and night and snorting buttloads of coke. Yeah, I was really worried about staying sober and enjoying vacation sober. There were challenges…habits call to us…but I also found happiness, strength and pride in staying sober and finding new ways to vacation…for example…actually relaxing and recharging instead of partying all night and making myself sick and hungover. I really have learned to RELAX and enjoy just being there…no dishes, laundry, bills, sick parents, worries…just clean sheets, yummy alcohol free tropical drinks, good food, time with the hubby, meeting new friends, watching dolphins and sunsets and soaking up life. And no chores to do! :heartpulse:

Do you have your days planned? Trips to take on vacation? New things to try? Can you get some quiet alone or spa time if you like that? Walks? Bikes? Swims or snorkles?

I found making friends with the bartenders handy and letting them know I was alcohol free. They made lots of fun tropical drinks and smoothies for me.

Keep your focus on your sobriety. You have some good time under your belt. Remember how proud you will feel making it theu sober and just why you got sober to begin with. Remember the consequences of drinking and all the crap it brought you. You never have to feel that way again.

Go, relax and enjoy your sober vacation. You deserve it.

3 Likes

Thanks Chad , I’ll definitely be taking ye all on holidays with me :raised_hands:

1 Like

Your definately right

Sorry the message sent before I finished typing :see_no_evil: your definately right , I love nothing more than waking up with a fresh head in the morning. it’s my will power is the problem when people are more or less throwing shots at you trying to get you into a pub.

1 Like

That’s great that you were able to do that and share it with me that it is in fact possible! I haven’t planned a thing yet but it would be a good idea for me to start planning day trips. I’m sure most of the days will be consumed at water parks with the kids. It’s the evenings I worry about.
I think I should be ok as Chad said above I can take ye all with me if I need support, which is great.

Thanks for your support :heart:️:heart:️

1 Like

@Sanna, sorry for delay. It’s great that at your young age, you have identified your problem with alcohol as the sooner you confront the problem, the sooner you can make a better life for yourself. The other book I mentioned was a novel I randomly picked up from my library called “Another Love” by Amanda Prowse, the images in this book will stay with me long after I have finished the book but is a clear sign if where things can lead if not stopped.

1 Like

This is super helpful…I have a vacay coming up in July…and Ive noted all this down. Thank you @SassyRocks

3 Likes

Hey @Sanna …congrats on 72 days!! I get this feeling of stress…I’m headed to New Orleans for the first time next week…go figure the first time I head to the Big Easy I’d be sober😂 I feel really lucky that I’ll be going with my aa sober boyfriend… I’m just keeping in mind what ACTUALLY happened all those booze and coke fueled vacations I went on. Sitting at a bar (even in picturesque Costa Rica etc) is STILL JUST SITTING IN A BAR…

What is special about the place you’re going??? What are the attractions there??? For me it’s going to be lots of live music and food and I’ve been looking into carriage tours about the history of Nola… I feel like I can even splurge on this stuff bc I know I won’t be racking up bar tabs.

You can get up early in the morning since you won’t be hungover and REALLY ENJOY whatever your holiday spot is bc you know be nursing hangovers. Every day is open for you to make the most of!! And some days that might be RELAXING. Really truly relaxing and enjoying the things that won’t make you feel like you need a day or two off when you come back just to not be tired anymore. I feel like vacations stopped being restful for me a long time ago when I was drinking…you go on holiday to rest from the stress of everyday life…not really to party hard and end up more tired than you started out right??
I also fully plan on coming here as much as necessary :heart:️ good luck…great suggestions on here!

1 Like