Update to my newly sober post

I mentioned in the post I made the other day I was looking for a job, then yesterday updated that I had an interview. I didn’t really question whether or not I’d get the job because it’s fast food and I always make a pretty good impression (when I’m sober). Well they were short a cook and asked me if I wanted to start today so I said sure and just got off my first shift. I’ve worked in a kitchen before so I knew what to expect, but I really like this job. The people are cool, the atmosphere is good (much better than the last few places I’ve worked) and I was expecting the pay to be about $3 less than what I’m starting out at which is great. I made this much hourly working in a factory 12 hour days 7 days a week (before overtime of course).

A plus is that I don’t have to deal with customers. I’m cooking, and they told me (I didn’t ask) that I wouldn’t ever have to deal with customers just cook and that’s really great because I’ve worked retail a couple places in this town already and it’s a small town so I know what they’re like (and they’re real entitled assholes).

Anyway, I’m in a pretty good mood just thought I’d share. This was the one place in town I could walk to but I’d been putting off applying because I assumed it would be awful. I know it will probably suck at times but that’s ok, that’s everywhere. But I’m in a good mood, not craving a drink… and like I said in my first post to you guys how I need to start taking the steps to get my shit together. Well I just took step 1. Not that it matters but I wanted to share anyway (I don’t have an AA group yet to share with, lol)

24 Likes

Congratulations on your new job!
And not drinking

Hugs

1 Like

Nice! I’m glad that things are going well!

1 Like

That’s great. I worked jobs like that before. I used to like to gap out while cooking, it was fun. Not dealing with customers is great. Super cool you’re making more money than you thought you would. Congrats!

1 Like

That’s great news, congratulations on your new job!

1 Like

Congratulations on the new job keep it up

1 Like

I work fast food and make what I did in a high end department store, but now I have set hours and no weekends. I love it and I make the same money, except I’m now getting a raise 2 months into working there. My job is a big part of my sober life, like it now is for you. I’m super happy for you! Congrats!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m trying, still learning, but still really liking it and the people. Have some burns across the edge of my hand from the grease popping up but I figure they’ll toughen up soon enough. I’m off today and taking care of some of the mess in my house.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new job, bonus is that you like it and the people! I hope all is going well, stay strong!

Thank you maxwell, everything is going very well today. I’m off work today and tomorrow so I’ve been cleaning the house which was really weighing on my mental health. I downloaded the sobertime tracker app that I’ve seen you guys post screenshots of, and now I’m 13 days sober and saved $80. I feel really good today, I’ve been facing some things that I’ve been hiding from for a couple years now and I’m finding it’s not nearly as bad as I was making it out to be. Like my app says today, I can do this.

2 Likes

Love hearing this kinda shit total cheers me up well done big man