Using my sober tool kit

101 days sober today and preparing for how I will make it to bed sober tonight! I have a friend flying in today, and we haven’t seen each other for almost a year. We have known each other since school and I am excited to see her and spend time together. She doesn’t yet know I am now a Non-Drinker, and she’s organised for us to meet up at a bar tonight, in amongst all the Friday night ‘night-life’ that is the Gold Coast, where I live. So, unlike the past few weeks, where I’ve actually felt so comfortable and at ease in my sobriety, tonight will be more challenging, and I need to flex my sober muscles and bring out the tools…

So here’s my plan:

• Post here in the TS forum for support from my sober community ✓😊 (and for accountability)

• Before I leave to meet her tonight, I will go through and re-read all of my posts here on the forum, reminding myself of my journey

• I will tell my friend that “I don’t drink” first thing tonight (will be an interesting conversation, but I look forward to the openness and honesty)

• I will drink mocktails

• I will write 101 on my wrist to remind me of my sober days and my choice to be sober.

*I will write in my gratitude journal all the reasons why I love my life now I’m sober and what it means to me.

• I will set positive reminders on my phone.

*I will say no to the drink that matters, the first drink!

*I will drive myself there and home

*I will stay present in the moment, and enjoy the atmosphere with clarity and calm

*I will check in here if I need to.

And, I will have fun.

I’m not going to over think this. It’s going to be a great night. I’ve learnt that the reason why I’m so happy and more confident lately is because I don’t drink! It’s a funny, vicious cycle that alcohol has on us. We start to feel good again with sober time and then this good feeling leads us to believe we should or can have a drink and a “good time”, but the reality is that drink and good time will lead us right back to where we started - drunk, then hungover and super anxious, miserable and depressed (well for me anyway…)then it’s right back to the start again - no good times had. Well, I’m choosing not to hop back on that merry-go-round. I wont drink because I don’t drink. I will have a much better time without it, and my confidence in myself will continue to grow!

Hoping this post helps others too, who may find themselves in similar situations…and they can use these tools for help.:blush::+1:

Thanks to all here who have taught me this stuff and given me these tools!

19 Likes

You sound so positive and strong!! I know you got this!! Have great sober fun with your friend and well done on your 101!!! :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks @SassyRocks! That’s my plan :blush::ok_hand:

2 Likes

Amazing great job and love your tools

1 Like

Thanks Lya. The tools certainly make it easier than just hoping and wishing… which is what I used to do and failed often! I think it’s great when you have that apiphany, that awakening moment where it just clicks and you realise the truth of the matter, alcohol (or whatever you doc) is harmful NOT helpful, and life is actually much better without it! :blush::raised_hands:

3 Likes

This is super great! I love your post. I’m sure it will help all of us but NOW it should help you. I hope your night went well with your friend. You can be so proud of yourself. I will come back here and read your tool kit again. Thank you :sparkles:

2 Likes

Yay! Here I am, hoping into bed - sober!! :raised_hands: I am so happy and proud of myself tonight. I had such a great night with my friend and I’m so thankful for the blessing that is my sober life :green_heart: These tools worked a treat, did not have a difficult moment and my friend was super supportive and amazing. I love being a Non-Drinker :blush::pray:
Sober life = my best life! For sure.

4 Likes

Thanks @anon35096624 :smile::purple_heart: my night went great! So happy to be home now, feeling good and sober, knowing tomorrow is going to be a great day, hangover free.
Yes, please do, this tool kit was super helpful!

2 Likes

Well done! Proud of you! :facepunch:
A good preparation is half the work

1 Like