Very first AA meeting.. what’s it like?

I had to start over again this morning on day 1. I drank so much yesterday that it caused to have a terrible fight with 3 people I love the most. I wish I could take it back. I decided to go to my very first AA meeting tonight. I’m nervous. What’s it like?

2 Likes

I went to my first one last week. It’s scary. It’s so easy to talk yourself out of going, BUT the best thing you’ll do…no one judges, everyone is there for the same reason, everyone has the same conversations going on in their heads, everyone has been as scared and hopeless as we feel. Go for you, go for your kids, just go, you’ll be proud of yourself.

3 Likes

I was scared going to my first one, but it has changed my life. The hardest part is getting yourself through the door, but just keep putting one foot in front of the other and get through that door. Someone might welcome you, or you can tell someone it is your first meeting. Every meeting is different. You may or may not be invited to introduce yourself by your first name only. You can sit and listen or say something if you want to. Many meetings do a chip club and invite people up to take a chip to mark their time in sobriety - if you take a white chip for being new, you will receive a warm welcome and lots of encouragement.

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

I wish you very well on your first meeting. I went to my very first meeting on Monday. I was also scared but knew I would do the right thing. I felt relieved when I actually went. Before I had 1000 excuses not to go. But it is the best thing I could have done for myself. I told right away that it’s my first meeting. I wasn’t sure if I would say something but eventually did and I felt very happy afterwards. It gave me so much hope. I just can’t do the fight alone and now I know where to go when I struggle. I come here and go to AA meetings. Already planning my next one. So I just wish you the same wonderful experience I Had. You can do it. Just go in and you receive the warmest welcoming you could imagine. We are all in the same boat fighting for the same. Thinking of you tonight!!!

1 Like

My life is beyond my wildest dreams bc of AA. You might not like it at first, but if you keep going your life will get better.

2 Likes

Do you keep the chips? Or how does that work

1 Like

Yes, you keep them and do whatever you want with them. I find them a nice reminder. I keep my latest chip right over my drivers license in my wallet so I see it often. Some people carry it in their pocket or put them somewhere special as a reminder.

Walking into the room I was the most scared I ever have been in my life…but I walked out feeling so much relief.

First, the people there are sooooo kind. They understand exactly how you are feeling and how nervous and unsure you are and they will go out of their way to make you feel safe and wanted. If they give out chips go get that white chip and you will be cheered like you’ve never been cheered before. You will almost be embarrassed by how proud they are of you.

Second, it takes time to get used to how it works. There are readings and prayers just like going to church so don’t panic if you feel lost. Just sit, listen, and absorb it all in.

Third, there are no due at AA but they do take donations. So they will pass around a collection bowl/basket. You are not obligated to put anything it.

Fourth, the coffee is HORRIBLE. But someone came in and made it as part of their service. So it might be nice to take some. But I usually prefer herbal tea/tisane at night so I bring my own.

Good luck and tell us all about it when you get home. I bet you feel a million times better than before you went.

2 Likes

I think you will like it. Internet support is great so is in person. I have become friends with alot of amazing people through meetings!

What does the white chip signify

At my meetings we call the white chip the “desire” chip. It just signifies that you have a desire to stop drinking.

I’ve heard others refer to it as a 24 hour chip…but our meetings are quite clear that it is okay if you’ve drank that day or even if you have had a drink in the parking lot before coming into the meeting…so long as you have a desire to stop drinking you can pick up that chip. And you can pick up that chip every meeting if you are still struggling to put together multiple sobriety days. It’s okay. The people at the meeting are not there to judge you, they are there to give you support. That is 100% what AA is about…passing on knowledge and support to the newcomer. That is why the guy with 14 years is still going to his home group meetings…because he wants to help the guy who is just beginning his journey.

3 Likes