Waking up and going to bed

The first week without alcohol, sleeping was kind of rough. Now I’ve got 3 weeks down :partying_face: but my sleep schedule is driving me up a wall. I’m good and tired by 9ish, I take my medicine (Amatryptaline- it’ll put ya down some nights), i do my night routine and am in bed by 930. I’m still up at 11, midnight, sometimes even later. Just chillin. And mostly stressing about not sleeping :sweat_smile: I’m working on limiting screen time before bed to help, but I’ve always slept with a TV. And then waking up is suuuuch a drag. I try setting alarms to do small workouts or bits of yoga before starting my day and it never fails, I’m out of bed at best around 715. Having to be at work by 8, that doesn’t leave me any “me time” in the mornings, and I end up feeling rushed throughout the day. How do y’all sleep and then wake up feeling refreshed rather than constantly missing bed?

2 Likes

Congrats on your three weeks! That’s awesome!

You know some nights I sleep great and some I only get fragments. When I first cleaned up, I slept like total crap. I take an OTC sleep aid and I’ve been slowly weening down off it. I will get ready for bed, then meditate for about 30 minutes, then I will get into bed. I try to get in bed at a time where if I fell asleep on time then I would get 9 hours. Also I sleep so much better when I cut caffeine out of my life.

I had to learn the hard way that if I can’t sleep then it’s best to get up for a little while. Same with if I wake in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep. I sit on the couch and read a book then try again. I only read nonfiction during those times. The last thing I need is a ‘page turner’ at 3am :laughing:

That’s what works for me. I don’t know how useful that might be for you. If you’ve always slept with a TV, then keep sleeping with it (in my opinion, of course). Or at least turn it on if you can’t sleep or what not. My mother had to have the TV on to sleep and it used to drive me nuts, so I would use a fan to block out the noise. Thing is that once I moved away I realized that I’d become conditioned to having the fan and now I need it to sleep.

Your sleep will get better though. Just keep doing good sleep etiquette things and it will get better. You’re doing great! Keep it up!

3 Likes

Fortunately, once I get to sleep I am OUT. I attribute that to my medication lol if I do wake, I’m a small body adjustment from back to sleep. It’s just getting there. My dad says it like this “pick a time. Get in bed at that time. Set your alarm and close you eyes. Then that’s it.” :joy::joy:
And really, it is that simple, but I just cannot fathom trying to force myself to lie down if I’m not ready to :persevere: but, I’m gonna give it a try.

2 Likes

My sleep Is horrible :-/

I am up till 3 or 4 am some nights :grimacing:

Waiting for it to get better but I am nearing 40 so that might be a reason.

Oh that’s nice!

You know the worst that can happen is that you lay down and you don’t fall asleep. If you’re still awake in 30 minutes, get up for a bit then go lay back down. Some people are good sleepers though. Maybe your dad is one of those. :grin:

For the first few months I either couldn’t sleep or slept then woke up early hours of the morning and couldn’t get back to sleep.
Reading around in here I found that other people experienced similar so put it down to being part of the process, accepted it and just napped when I could or went to bed early.
I am fortunate that I could just take a day off if I wanted to to and very early decided that I would recover sleep this way.
Once I accepted this I found my anxiety about my sleep pattern went away.
I would sit and talk to people in the states on here at 03.00 in the morning, perhaps grab an hour, wake up and see if I was up to going to work. I suffered a bit financially, but my understanding was that it was not going to be for ever.
And getting sober was more important to me than anything else in the early days.
I would say It lasted six months.
Im not familiar with your meds but people have recommended Melotonin and various other things.
Search up sleep using the magnifying glass.
I found a hot soak in the bath and chamomile tea helped me.
Thing to do is try not to stress about it. The early days can be stressful enough without additional worries.

1 Like

Did a short workout and stretch after, took my medicine about an hour earlier than what I have been. Putting myself in relax mode now with weighted blanket and more tea :hugs: hoping this helps tonight!!

1 Like