Walking away

Ive walked away from many things in this life, cocaine and meth 20+ years ago and recently alcohol, 228 days, many many toxic relationships and dead end jobs. I know when something doesn’t work, and I know when to cut my losses. Whatever you do in this life, do it for you. People pleasing is for the meak.

20 Likes

You have a lot to be proud of.

4 Likes

Good for you, well done

2 Likes

Always good to have a reminder…
You have done a huge path! :muscle:t2:

Since 1 year I c the direct connection between addictions and toxic relationships and working especially on this.

To be more concrete on my own patterns. :blush:

1 Like

I wondered that, i like to please people because i am kind, i stand up for myself and say no when i need to.

1 Like

Meak is quiet, gentle, submissive, i have always been a people pleaser if i can call myself that, just being kind people could be called that i suppose, but with me i will always say no to something if its not for me, what is your first language if you don’t mind me asking ?

3 Likes

Meek not Meak hehe also means easily taken advantage of

I do think what @BLOODSHOTJOKER means is the meek instead of the meak (but correct me if I’m wrong). Then again I still don’t quite understand what he means by what he writes, him as a christian especially (which I am not). See Jesus sermon on the mountain from which the phrase “the meek shall inherit the earth” stems. Which has been explained by christian theologians in ways that very much are echoed in the first three of the twelve steps.

2 Likes

A very close friend of mine is from Helsinki

I think what his saying is don’t be a people pleaser, but that is up to the individual, just because you are kind doing things for people doesn’t make you a weak person which i think is how its coming across.

1 Like

No they are not in recovery

Good job and enjoy your new life!. In my case giving up alcohol was the beginning of walking off other toxic things.

Mainly the most toxic thing/person is me myself. I have left loneliness, being selfish and try to give peace and love. I have started to smile and be quiet, calm and relatively happy at work.

Giving up alcohol allows me to share my time, being ready for difficulties and, more or less, being ready for bad moments all lives have.

Best regards!

2 Likes

I guess with some research, my understanding is closer to the old norske or norse meaning of the word, and thats ‘to be gentle’. Its not meant to be derogatory either way I guess. We use it in trade as a person thats green, if that resonates with you at all.

I was slightly in my feelings and in a hurry when I drafted this, so I misspelled it.

As a person, as a species, we people please. We all do it. It can serve us well, doing well in school for our parents only behooves us, etc. When I catch myself doing it, and not speaking up for myself if I feel I’m or others are being taken advantage of is when I find it problematic. Thats when its time to walk away.

Also to address @Mephistopheles @Mno I was baptized about 7 yrs ago, after a spiritual experience I had. Also I had a falling out with my church not long after, before my Bible studies were done. So my definition isn derived from that experience. Clear enough? It was more existential, than literal or biblical :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thats what up. Proud of you, thats what its all about. Being sober feels good!

1 Like

Agree with your people pleasing comments. So true.

Yeah bro they say you gotta be selfish in recovery walking away from this is tough just remember whatever you walk away from you usally walk towards something better stay strong g

1 Like