Want this so bad

I try so hard to be sober, then i convience myself that I’ll have just one drink then the next thing i know im drunk once again waking up servere anxiety wondering what all i did the night before, feeling guilty and just hating myself… its a circle of hell and i just dont want to drink at all anymore…

5 Likes

Try and get to a meeting. Keep yourself distracted, check in on here everyday for your first few weeks, you will want to stay sober with all the likes and words of encouragement you will get in here. Find yourself a new hobby or rediscover a new one. Hang in there

5 Likes

Im up for any advice, this is so hard for me, but i just cant do it no more, im tired of all the unnecessary drama it cause me. Its nothing but a vicious cycle… ty for the advice…

1 Like

I heard the truest, realist statement one time and it stuck with me ever since - one time is too many and a thousand is never enough!

2 Likes

It is super hard, I still struggle at over 8 months some days, but the good days will start to outweigh the bad and balance will come back to your life. Take it one day at a time, live in the now, don’t worry about tomorrow or next week it will just stress u out even more. Here’s something that I always use. Use the acronym “HALT” when you are experiencing bad cravings. Ask yourself if you are hungry, angry, lonely. Or tired. Most likely it will be one of those things that’s triggering your brain to seek out instant relief from your doc (drug of choice) Hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Also don’t be afraid to be kind to yourself right now. Slack off, relax, do stuff that you want to do. Eat a whole damn cake if you feel like it. Take yourself out to the movies, go see a concert by yourself, learn to start enjoying your own company. Sometimes I go to the arcade by myself when I’m bored and am thinking too much about nonsense.

5 Likes

The cycle is vicious, but the important thing is, you know there is a cycle now!

Breaking the cycle is changing your habits! Your drinking habits has turned into a routine. Think like tying your shoes, riding a bike, driving a car. You do all these things like drinking without thinking about it. You just do it!

You need to break down every step of your drinking. Why I’m I thinking about drinking? What is the end outcome? When if any is a reason to drink? Where is the reward? How will drinking enhance my life?

I know this might sound funny written out, but I had my fair share of lapses…

You have to think of alcohol as a serious decision that your making… it’s not tying your shoes. It has serious implications in our lives; physically, mentally, relationships and financially.

Change your perception of alcohol! Perception is reality and reality is perception.

We are here to help you.

2 Likes

Welcome @Reachingout!

@Steve92 has really good advice. If you can get to a meeting you will meet people with the same issues who have pulled through this. You don’t have to talk or say you are an alcoholic. I just said my name and that it was my first meeting.

It’s good to have things to drink that you like that are non-alco. Stock up th fridge! You can do this!

3 Likes

It’s just not worth it. Took me a long time to figure that out but I was avoiding taking interest in my own life. Drinking was easier.

I’m only two weeks in

1 Like

I’m with you. Found myself in a similar position today when I woke up at 2:00 am hungover cause I got day-drunk at a family event. “Did I say anything stupid?” “Was my behaviour inappropriate?”

‘Circle of hell’ is a good way to put it. Let’s break the cycle.

1 Like

@Steve92 suggest you try get to meeting and hes right it makes it easier and youl meet people who understand what your going through , get phone numbers so you can lift the phone before the drink , going to meets helped me get sober and stay sober wish you well everyone have a good day

2 Likes

I’m going to get a t-shirt printed with “One drink is too many when one drink is never enough!” :blush:

3 Likes

Day drinking sounds so fun though. I’ll admit some of my most fun had alcohol involved. But the thing is, it impairs your memory. Not like blackout but all memory of the situation and emotions. It becomes throwaway time.

Nothing like a bunch of drunks becoming great friends and the next day not so much.

Nevermind all the costs involved in having that time. If I could drink moderately fine, but even if I stop I’m obsessed about my next drink. I never think I’m drinking enough and everyone else should too. It’s pathetic.