Was addicted to my adhd prescribed meds, now i’m going back to school

and am worried i won’t be able to learn shit without the uppers. miss them so much. hard to separate from a medication i was convinced helped me.

4 Likes

Hey, welcome.

I was in a very similar boat. Got diagnosed with ADHD as an adult (27 or 28), and ended up abusing the daylights out of my meds. They were very helpful in the beginning when I was taking them like I was supposed to. Even when I was abusing them, they were helpful just more dangerous. Quitting them was actually more difficult for me than quitting alcohol. They really helped my depression as well. Someone described it to me on here long ago, and it was the perfect description for it in my experience - I felt like life had been in black and white my entire life, and now with Adderrall, I was finally experiencing life in color. That’s what it felt like.

I just felt so useless without them, and I couldn’t think and complete tasks the way I had grown to expect. I was out of school by then, but work was SO difficult for a while.

Eventually you will get better. It takes some time and patience. Things that helped me was sticking to my nutrition and exercise regimens, tons of water, and honestly – time. It will just take time for your brain to get back to equilibrium. The diet, exercise, and water just helps get you there a bit quicker.
The most important thing is to be gentle and kind with yourself. Your brain won’t be working up to par for a little while. Just keep reminding yourself that it’s alright and that you will be back to normal in no time, as long as you don’t use.

Take care

7 Likes

Hi Marija, I feel for you. I have a history with ADHD as well and I know the worry of even getting through the day. My advice is similar to @TMAC - it takes time. Normal is something you create by working your life, day by day. Your body is made to live in this world. It’s like a tree. Give it a healthy space to live in & eventually it’ll reset itself & you’ll find your way. Take care :innocent:

3 Likes

FUCK I RELATE to this SO MUCH

2 Likes

Looking at doing a degree next year and I don’t even know if I can cope without them I’ve been off them for over two years but FUCK they made a difference to my ability to study but I abused them big time and use to combine them with alcohol too :disappointed::disappointed:

2 Likes

Same. In the earlier years, it was pot. lots and lots and lots of pot. and then that turned to alcohol. lots and lots and lots of alcohol. off the meds, my desire to use is so little. But my desire to be on the meds is huge. I feel like I lived my life, as that person, and now I dunno who I am.

Yeah Ritalin kinda made me feel like a zombie though. Yeah I’m 9 months one day off pot 11 months 26 days off the drink… there’s a form of Ritalin called concerta that you cant really abuse

1 Like

Hi,
I know you are trying to help, and please don’t take this the wrong way – but just be careful. Concerta is still a stimulant medication and can absolutely be abused. I’ve done it.
There are non-stimulant alternatives available (have no experience with them personally) but I’ll leave that discussion to a qualified medical professional if OP is looking for other options.

5 Likes

Yes, I know. I’ve been on the merryground far too long. Was prescribed concerta in highschool. This addiction runs deep, it’s been almost 10 years. Thank you for both of your advice. X

2 Likes