Waste the Stash

:+1:
Very true.

Bye for now…

3 Likes

I can relate to this struggle. My boyfriend is not joining me on this journey and we still have a cupboard of alcohol. The best you can do is stay positive and remind yourself why you are becoming sober. I know taking advice from someone who is on her first day may seem odd but that’s what I’m telling myself. Hope this helps. Best of luck :heart:
Great job on how far you’ve come!!

2 Likes

I’m on day 2 again after 5 months back drinking following 7 months not drinking.
It wasn’t the presence of alcohol in the house that caused me to start again, it was because I simply chose to start again. Needless to say it was because of the slow steady escalation of the amount I was consuming that I’ve chosen to stop again. What I’m saying is that it was my choice not the bottle persuading me (but that’s me and we are all different). I just see alcohol as a cooking ingredient that is no more drinkable than cooking oil once Not drinking the stuff is firmly established in my lifestyle…

2 Likes

I think everyone is different on this. I used to have a huge wine rack on the wall in my kitchen and that had to totally go once I accepted the fact that I am powerless over alcohol and that I can’t drink like a normal person. I flushed the wine and took down the rack. But, that being said, I LOVE to cook! I cook with booze quite a bit so In the early days this was a quandary for me. At xmas I love a brandy fed Xmas cake and I remember coming on here and asking what people’s views are on cooking with it. It was a pretty mixed reaction. I had to find out if cooking with it triggered ME?? Over time I realised that it didn’t. I don’t keep it on view, I don’t think that would be helpful at all but I keep it at the back of the cupboards with my oils. I’m 605 days today and the cooking booze has never entered my mind. Although. If I’m making something with wine in I have to measure it out into a jug and not keep the bottle on the side,!that brings back to many memories. I definitely couldn’t deal with it on view though. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

5 Likes

Oh honey. Waste that stash. We have all been there. Last year, I saved a bottle of wine like it was something biblical. I drank it after 7 weeks sober and had to reset myself. In the end, you just have to rip off the bandaid and get rid of it. Your sobriety is so worth it.

4 Likes

Ha ha ha! That happened to me too! My wine club delivered my semi annual wine around my 90 days! I had no problems finding homes for it all and quickly canceled my membership!

2 Likes

I haven’t read all the responses yet before posting, but throwing this idea out there. My friend literally sold their half bottles of booze. She also had hundreds of dollars of stuff. I am sure super illegal, but she posted it on FB and one of her friends bought the whole shabang. I am sure for pennies, but if you are deciding between keeping it because of cost vs dumping it, this is an option.

I gave mine away to a friend who has it at his cabin.

Whatever you do, don’t overthink it. Booze is booze and if its a trigger being in the house then it needs to leave. Sobriety is your priority, bottles of fancy wine are not. Perhaps give it back to the giftee as a thank you to them and a thank you to your sobriety.

5 Likes

Not odd at all! Thank you for taking the time to respond. :heart:

I can understand your thinking, I just believe you can see something as a keepsake regardless of the contents. I guess you could pour it out and keep the bottle? Then you still have it. I would personally never dream of opening the bottle we have that I mentioned, if I wanted to drink that bad I’d go buy more at the store before wasting a bottle that’s been in my cabinet untouched for 17 years. I just don’t see it as an option and still don’t.

1 Like

I gave my booze to my friends.

1 Like

Everything is said already, dumpt it. Any other solution you might think of keeps it popping up top of mind. Just were it shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you! :grin:

A friend came out of rehab and found a 1+1/2 litre bottle of vodka in her house. She left it on a neighbour’s doorstep and the milkmen came shortly afterwards. Her neighbour was sure the milkman had delivered it when she brought the milk in from the doorstep. :thinking:
Anyway, it doesn’t cost you anything to pour it down the sink, and why keep it if you are not going to use it? :eyes:

2 Likes

Because I don’t have faith I’ll be successful.

I’d say for me, that the only fighting chance that I had was to at least be FULLY committed from the start. That meant throwing away what I had so I could start my life as a non drinker. I’m incredibly thankful that I took that first step of really committing💛

1 Like

Oo that’s quite strong, I know I couldn’t go there with “cooking booze” the only cooking that would be getting would be in my stomach :rofl::ok_hand:

Saying that, it’s an interesting point, I caught my friend pouring a dash of beer into a casserole thing he was making, I chose to ignore it because I know alcohol boils off at 65 degrees and it was going on the oven at approx 200 degrees for over an hour. So I let it lie! I don’t think I’d eat Christmas cake tho, the smell could be triggering.

1 Like