Wasted time

Currently trying to get sober. I have been drinking since I was 14 and now I am 26. It has been out of control for years now between the drugs and booze, been in and out of jail several times and have really fucked up a lot of relationships and friendships along the way. I went to detox a couple months ago. I made it 18 days and boom right back to drinking. I’ve cut back to just weekends again but I already see where it’s going. Currently going to meetings and seeing a counselor but I really just feel hopeless when I wake up hungover. This is my day one again and I really need to make it stick this time, otherwise this is going to kill me and I know it. Before I was just getting sober for my wife, but there really has been a shift in my mind recently that has really made me want this. I thought I’d post on here for accountability in a sense.

16 Likes

Welcome here crackerjack!
There is enough te read here wich can help you in your recovery. There’s always someone to talk to when you need it. So come here as often as you need it! I’m here every day, it helps me! I’m sober for 131 days now. Good luck on your sober path!

2 Likes

Welcome back to the battle my friend, it’s worth it! Congratulations on day 1! Just take it one day at a time. I’m 45 days in and never imagined how good it would be. Good luck!

3 Likes

Welcome back @Crackerjack
Remember that this is for you. It’s your life.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. And congratulations on your sobriety!

2 Likes

You’re right! Thank you

1 Like

Thank you! I will definitely be reading everything I can. Congratulations on your sobriety, that is great!

2 Likes

Welcome! Good for you for starting this journey!

2 Likes

One day at a time. Find a meeting you can make today and go. Make two if you can. I’m only day 9 but cramming meetings in and feel great after going. I hit rock bottom and only have one way and that’s up. Find something that makes you happy and try to do that for a bit. Time when not occupied can be dangerous for us all.
Good Luck!

2 Likes

Welcome! I’m glad that the shift has changed in you to realize that your doing this for you bc the only way things will get better is if you put the amount of effort it took you to get drunk or high into your soberity then the sky is the limit! You can do this just take one day at the time. Also, it helped me to just stay in the now bc once I started looking too far ahead it would stress me out but just know things will work themselves out at the end of the day. Just be confident and get your life back bc you deserve it!

2 Likes

Good for you, Crackerjack. We all have something in common. DAY 1. That’s where we start our journey. A lot of us have had multiple DAY 1’s. We just pick ourselves up and continue that journey. Stay active. Go to meetings. Volunteer with a group or organization. It feels good. Keep it going. It’s well worth it. (Just ask my wife)

1 Like

You can ask my wife too:)
@Crackerjack you will get there man. You’re in the right places and asking the right questions. I suggest that next time you are at a meeting to listen for similarities to your story in people’s shares. If someone shares something you like then grab them for a chat after the meeting. Or just hang out for a few minutes after the meeting and someone will come to you.
That’s where the magic happened for me man. “The Meeting after the Meeting”

1 Like