We come here for four reasons

I was once told we come to AA for one of (or a mix of) these four reasons

Law
Liver
Lover
Livelyhood

So I’m curious which one are you?

I’m a law, I was on a commitment and now I’m on probation for spitting on a cop. And the boredom was so crushing there was no way I’d stay sober if I didn’t have my CMA and AA meets

5 Likes

I’m here because I wanted to recover after ruining my life for a number of years :pray:

8 Likes

Law - was in trouble a bit but never charged

Liver- Count wasn’t that bad

Lover- didn’t make me get into recovery

Livelihood - was in a stable job and financially secure

5 Likes

Interesting.

Mine is predominantly liver. To be honest health was the thing that forced my hand. I was managing everything else and functioning, albeit unhappily.

Doesn’t mean my life hasn’t massively improved since giving up though.

5 Likes

L- mental health

7 Likes

That’s my second I was insane enough to spit on the cop

1 Like

I feel like I’m a mix:
#1 Livelyhood - becuz my overall life was a completely mess, job, relationship, finances, how I took care of myself etc
#2 Liver (health) - I was suffering in numerous ways physically and mentally. Not sleeping, not taking medication, rarely eating etc
#3 Lover - All the arguing and frustration of finances putting a strain on our relationship
#4 Law - The law hasn’t been involved in quite some time for me. I was charged as a youth for boosting and then as an adult I was very very lucky to not have been caught while working the streets back home. However, I did definitly have a fear of being caught the past 7 years as I was using illegal substances. That was a motivator for me bcuz I had alot to lose and if I got caught, I wouldve lost it for sure

1 Like

I haven’t had a job for more than a year since I can’t remember when. Getting my stuff together is the best reason to get sober. I’m so bad at adulting.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard this before but I definitely think I’m a mix…
Law - I’m working to become a lawyer and don’t want to ruin my career before it starts
Liver - I’ve had a lot of health issues and drinking wasn’t helping
Lover - I am the love of my life, I got sober for myself
Livelihood - I’ve lost family to alcoholism and I never want to make anyone feel the way they made me feel… and I was starting to.

2 Likes

The law brought me to the program. Living life kept me here.

2 Likes

None of these i just wanted to stop drinking ,sick of being sick .

10 Likes

Mental health, law and livelihood brought me to AA which eventually brought me here to TS

I started smoking weed and drinking at 13 years old

My first AA meeting was because I was on probation and at age 16 I was diagnosed with schzophrania

So wheni was off probation i stopped AA but after my dmh case worker strongly suggested aa because I couldnt stay sober for the life of me. I have even went AA under the influence a few times at the beginning

I lost control of life and started going back to AA for livelihood

It took a very long time but I’m 78 days sober and clean but to be hounest I havnt been to AA in a while

1 Like

Little red livelihood, for me

2 Likes

I don’t entirely think any applied to me in the moment. For me it really was about what could be my future. All of them were potentially my future.

But I suppose Liver was probably the one most on my mind….

2 Likes

Good post, I’ve never heard this. I think mine might be lover. Drinking was making my life suck and I was ready to start loving it again.

1 Like

Huh. Never heard, but good food for thought.

For me, a health scare led me into stopping. The straw that broke the camel’s back was liver=overall body breaking down after years of consistent abuse by alcohol.

Internally, I battled for years the conflict between the image I tried to keep at work, at home, with friends, (with a fair level of success, which I don’t know if it was good or bad) and the realitly of what I was doing to myself.

When your actions do not align with what you value the most in your core, the suffering is unbearable. No matter how you try to rationalize it. :heart:

2 Likes

This sounds exactly like me! I managed to hide it and function in society. Only my husband really knew. Even he was surprised to hear that I thought about alcohol all the time, and that I was having an internal battle all the time.

2 Likes

If Lover is anyone you love then that. Certainly my romantic relationship was in dire straits but it was what I was doing to my kids that was my biggest worry. And Livelihood I was keeping it hidden by the skin of my teeth.

3 Likes

Law, livelihood and a little bit of lover….getting my 3rd DWI ultimately sent me to prison which is where I first took the painful look at my self in self reflection and saw what an insane mess I had become in life at the age of 27……I was released from prison and the day after I got off parole made the decision to celebrate by getting absolutely shitfaced….although I was able to keep it to this one occasion….only months later having found the most amazing relationship of my life, it wasn’t long before I got comfortable in my success in life and my alcohol dilution allowed me to believe that I could control my drinking and writhing the year I lost everything I had rebuilt within the last 2 years since being institutionalized……seeing me at my worst was enough to make the love of my life realize that it wouldn’t be worth living a lifetime with such a mess and she left……sending me spiraling into depression, the phsych ward, and then finding Meth….which ultimately would take the rest of any livelihood I have left for the next 5 years….till I was completely and utterly diffracted when I finally came to the very end of myself and I knew I had to be done for good or else die….that was my sober date 02/27/2022

5 Likes