Week sober and struggling

Hi everyone im only a week in well 8th day to be exact, im really struggling though ive never felt so alone, any advice?

10 Likes

Hey Tom.

Congrats on 8 days! The first week is the hardest in my opinion.

Do you mind if I ask how do you mean when you say you feel alone?

2 Likes

Thank you and thanks for the message, all my friends have been out this weekend, ive had to ignore texts and calls just so i dont go out as I’ve not told anyone ive stopped drinking really except my girlfriend.

Sat at home wondering what all my friends are doing is horrible feeling

4 Likes

I have to hang tough through the times the old drinking and smoking buddies don’t come around. I get through with meetings online (zoom) or calling somebody who is like minded.

1 Like

Congrats on 1 week! Check out this thread:

Welcome to the forum! 2022

While the name says “welcome” there is a lot of useful info for people who are in the early days of sobriety. Reading through it will also give you something to keep you occupied :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Time to find some sober friends. Easiest place to do so is local AA. Good luck!

4 Likes

Hey man congrats on 8 days. My advice would be to attend regular AA meetings and get in contact with like minded and positive members. Stay strong :pray::heart:

3 Likes

I always have struggled at the one week mark. I try to find things to keep me busy. The past few days its been overdue home repairs. I try new recipes and come here to see what everyone got to say. I won’t be one here to offer AA, as it was not for me, so i try to be creative. I also like to take short road trips to see state landmarks or try new restaurants. Anything that keeps my mind busy and doesn’t leave much time to consider drinking out of loneliness or boredom, which I often did. Hang in there, tomorrow is close and a new day!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t even know how to get started with going to one of them if im honest haha

Thanks for the message, thats what i need to do find things to keep busy, but ive got so use to meeting up with mates and drinking i dont really know how to do anything else.
Ive started gym again, and i pay monthly cinema now so started going there as well, but theres times where im sat on my own, and i dont want to give in to temptation of going out again. So thats playing in my mind at the minute

1 Like

Great job on having a week sober! You are just about to feel real real good in a few days. I know it’s hard feeling like you’re missing out with everybody going out to the bars and such. Like everyone said try to keep busy and you said movies that’s a great way to relax. And there are many apps to find a meeting. One way to look at it is you know how it is when they say that you have to take care of / love yourself first before You are able to be with someone else? This is true and it’s kind of the same thing with sobriety. Don’t think of it that you’re missing a bunch of other people look at it is you’re actually healing yourself so you’ll be in a better position for a new relationships. And once you get some time under your belt you’ll be able to see your old friends and they will actually be sort of jealous that you’re not drinking. At least that’s how it was for me. In other words you don’t have to write them off completely you’re just take some time for yourself and if they are true friends they will respect that for good luck! I am on here from time to time and I’m pulling for you!

1 Like