Week Won! Cocaine

New in here and approaching my first week! Still can’t believe I find myself here but I have a cocaine problem. I don’t feel like the most likely candidate to be in this position but I guess who is? Always been fairly moderate character and at nearly 40 didn’t see this coming. Went away with friends a couple years back and used over a weekend. Had fun with no thoughts of addiction or danger but upon my return began occasionally using, leading to regular use and before long it’s invaded my life and mind. I’m self employed and work alone so I’ve hid it well but it’s been hard to keep up work levels with resulting comedown and anxiety. Finding this a great way to measure my success and hope I can maintain focus

11 Likes

Good luck. Are you going to any NA meetings

In truth I’m trying to deal with it myself if I can. Live in a fairly small community and don’t want people to know unless absolutely necessary. I’ve cut ties with people I can obtain it from and working on recognising the danger signs, tiredness, boredom that triggers use. I know that a few days in I start to struggle. Just changed my app wallpaper to a place I associate with being clean and feel this is a virtual sanctuary I can escape to if necessary. Really appreciate any help or advice. The last few times I used I felt very uncomfortable and anxious so in truth I’m no longer in a carefree place where I enjoy taking it, not sure how I let it get such a hold but I’m going to come off the ropes fighting for sure!!

Addiction is a cunning disease. And working a 12step program made the difference for me. I couldn’t do it alone. I tried many times. Look online and there are online sponsors etc that could help and support you . Do whatever it takes to stay clean. And not just not using but actual freedom from addiction. Take one day at a time and what you have done so far is great well done.

2 Likes

Thanks, I agree there is a difference. Not using is first step but hope to reach a place where it’s less prevailing in my thoughts. I focus on the things it’s taken away and remember the good times I had before allowing this to take hold

1 Like

Congratulations! Even do it’s hard, you can do it alone. I did have to move in order to leave behind the past, but you can always leave thT mindset. Been so er for 23 months after 10 years of nearly daily use.

Thanks for the kindness and encouragement, it’s the fuel for my fire! I been using for a few years and not every day but I could see where I was headed! I’ll beat this

1 Like

It is great that you seen the end game! Always remember that great feeling when you are sober, how good it feels to sleep, the joy of eating food or taking a walk. By the 1st month you of being sober you will see just how wonderful you’re life is, and how much differently you’re mood is.

I would also write down your triggers.

Mine was.

1.) Stress
2.) Hard alchohol
3.) Boredom

Avoid these. Write down something next to each one that you rather do. Such as if stressed out, go for a walk. If bored, maybe play a video game, if there is alchohol, a void the gathering or do not drink. I found different favorite natural juices to do the trick.

Good luck to you!!! You got this! And always remember, that you can beat this! Even if one day at a time!!!

Great advice my friend and yes my triggers are similar. Starting to relish waking up fresh and ready to throw myself into work! Feel a calm descending over my life like a mist and it feels wonderful. Got to keep with this because I know ten minutes of weakness can undo a weeks hard fought success

1 Like