Well I relapsed đź« 

Well guys, I relapsed sadly on my birthday.
I couldn’t handle anything anymore or my family and how they treated me.

My birthday was such a huge let down, but I also learned another thing about this experience. That relapses are gonna happen moving forward into full recovery, and also now I know that my family is big triggers and just to have better game plans moving forward with my family, get togethers, and my birthday… seeing as all three of those things are really triggering towards me drinking to “numb the pain”.

I take full blame and responsibility , I am not here to point the finger at anyone else.

At least I’m back on over 24 hours without a drink, I made sure to avoid this app while I was drinking to follow the rules and still set an example to others.

Now that I’m sober and clear minded, I just wanna say on the bright side of things, since the new years I actually have significantly cut down my drinking and have had more sober days then drinking days compared to 2021 / 2022 . There are still small steps of progress and achievements with myself.

Like I’ve told myself and many other people relapses are apart of recovery and a learning curve from what I feel like. I feel pretty depressed today and unmotivated but I’m sure it’ll pass.
I wish I had a pet or something to kinda keep me busy and look forward towards , the downfall of living alone and being alone all the time. Maybe I’ll go to an AA meeting this week, but for now we just got a wicked snow storm in southern Ontario and even hearing or being around alcohol is triggering right now. Lord give me strength. :pray:

19 Likes

That’s a very dangerous thought to just expect and accept relapses. It is very possible to get sober without relapsing. Don’t sell yourself short by thinking that you have to relapse to recover.

37 Likes

Whats done is done its pointless beating yourself up about it, from what ive been reading from you i think you need to start setting some personal boundries with your family…i mean …it was YOUR birthday yet you ended up relapsing because of it? If your family are triggers then limit your time with them, yourself and your sobriety have to become your top priorities

10 Likes

I agree 110%

3 Likes

Also, has the relapse or did the relapse do anything to help how you were feeling?

2 Likes

@Starlight14 straight up no, it just numbed the pain for about half a day. Lol. Kept me 'busy" .

2 Likes

Not necessarily. Like you say yourself you need a better plan.

No they are not. They are part of addiction.

Nobody sees you when you’re not posting. There is a part of the forum called “seeking help” which is opt-in only where it is allowed to post under the influence. Just not being here helps nobody. Not yourself in the first place.

I’m not trying to beat you up and I don’t want you to feel attacked or anything. I do want to point out some flaws in your thinking. There is no grey area in dealing with addiction. It’s black and white. We either drink or we do not. There’s no negotiating, there’s no going back and forth between drinking and not drinking. That just doesn’t work. I commend you for learning lessons from your relapse, but these lessons can be learned while remaining sober too.

This is about life and death. No joke. No flimflam.

27 Likes

Thanks for saying that, I’m still the new kid learning haha.

I like it when you put it that way it makes way more sense, I need to work more on my thinking and mindset as well.

6 Likes

I so agree with this, i know relapses happen and its important to not dwell and get caught up in the negative but they dont have to happen either, so far its not part of my journey…i dont know if this will help Drew but ive made it a rule for myself that relapse just isnt an option full stop…i HAVE to find another way

4 Likes

Allen Cars easy way to stop drinking is great for changing mindset about drinking

3 Likes

@Starlight14 I really appreciate the solid statements and advice. Because I’m now viewing it from a different perspective so thank you.

2 Likes

I didn’t read that one but I did read the original easy way to quit smoking 7.5 years ago and yes, it did help me greatly with changing my mindset, going from the idea I was giving something nice up, to the conviction that I was gaining everything by quitting smoking.

5 Likes

The drinking one was an absolute gamechanger for me…its like through media, people etc we are all conditioned/brainwashed to think drinking is a great thing to do, that u cant have fun without it…the message is everywhere so much so that id never given a thought to how utterly damaging and poisonous it is…theres one part where he says about when anyone has their first drink it tastes disgusting…and its meant to…its a poison and addictive substance yet because society tells us its the thing to do we carry on

6 Likes

That’s what this book was talking about . I’ve been going in an out of a lot of parts of it this last week.

2 Likes

Relapses are part of are recovery we have all been there i relapsed after 3 years and hates myself but its only made me stronger and more determined this time…dont punish yourself just take each step at a time and nove forward continue you will acheive your goal

4 Likes

@Kristy4 haha ! I have owned pets in the past, I’m well aware. It’s just my current living situation where I currently am.

My lease ends at the end of May. Let’s see what the future holds for me.

1 Like

@Kezz yeah I wasn’t really trying to use the “relapse” as an excuse to drink . My relapse was fully based off emotions and sadness tbh, I’m just aware because going into 2023 its been more of a relapsing year, but not drinking everyday.

I’m just trying to be honest with myself and everyone around me , because it actually helps me cope better and think more clearly instead of sugar coating things.

I know some people are gonna be hard on me about a relapse , but I can’t blame them if they want to give me their insight, because I’m sure at once a lot of them were on my shoes. :v:

3 Likes

I didnt drink daily either more only 2 or 3 times a week somtimes less my prob more binging when i do and then use other substances as i dont like to be drunk and i wouldnt admit to myself i had a problem untill recently …people think to be an adicct to need be doing drugs or alcohol or whatever the problem is to be classed as an addict so alot my family use to shut me off about it and jist put me down which made me worse but they finally agreed i habe a problem as i camt control when i do drink amount and it triggers my orher habbits …im only on day 4 of being completely dry off it all but it half term so this itself a big achievement for me as id use that as an exscuse to drink as no children or school runs …i am currently on meds of docters which i need ween of but i dont misuse them there for back pain but the drink on them was dangoirois

4 Likes

I think of relapse and sobriety like sinning and repentance. What I mean is, knowingly committing a sin only to repent later alleviates responsibility. Don’t expect to relapse, and you’re less likely.
We all make mistakes, and everyone’s journey is different. Sobriety is complex, factors of how and why make for an uneasy answer.
Pick yourself up, get back at it. I suggest seeking help, if you don’t already.

6 Likes

@Bootz & @EricH

Y’all are all great people including everyone who responded to this post. Thank you for all your insight and moving forward to my next day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes