Well Im back on my first day sober, thinking about AA meetings

So If anyone saw my post yesterday I slipped up bad did alot of cocaine and binge drank. I beat myself up pretty bad when i woke up yesterday crying for hours (I waz 22 days sober). Cocaine is what triggered me to drink, it just goes hand in hand, I also did a lot of xanax… I felt so ashamed but yesterday and today everyone gave me great advice, its a lesson learned that I dont want to go thru again. Im thinking about AA but not sure, Im really young and feel Ill feel a lil fumb for going in and plus Im really shy, but I think it might help. What do yall think?

You cannot go wrong with aa. Just go. It can only make you stronger.

2 Likes

I’m young and really shy too, and I’ve found a lot of use and help and support in AA. I’m not sure how many meetings are in your area, but there are young people’s meetings, so you could try seeing if there are any near you. I was really scared to go at first, but its helped me make my life so much better in a short amount of time. I wanted to die when I was drinking, now I don’t want to die. I call that a win! You don’t have to talk in meetings if you don’t want to, you can go to women only meetings, and you can choose who you reach out to. There are a lot of options. And it helps to have something to do and people who know what’s up with you and can check in on you. Meetings can help fill up the time in early sobriety when you’re feeling squirrely. You can do this.

4 Likes

You won’t know if it’s a good fit for you until you try it. :slight_smile: I was apprehensive to. Be brave and remember that you don’t have to talk, you can leave whenever you want, and you can participate any way you feel moved to. You don’t have to talk to anyone. Try to go sooner than later. I find it very humbling and keeps me motivated to stay quit. If you find a good group it can be super helpful and a great support.

2 Likes

I am nervous about going to my first meeting as well. I have driven to one before but couldn’t get out of the car. My anxiety of being judged and vulnerable just turns me away to want to just do it myself. I know I need to one day go inside. Hopefully that day will be soon. It has been 18 days sober and the withdrawal is getting worse

2 Likes

All I can say is GO! I go to NA and was so nervous my first meeting I couldnt stop sweating. But i promise it gets easier the more you go! They are the nicest people you will ever meet in your life. They make you feel so comfortable. I’m 25 and see all ages going! Ive only been going for 4 weeks, but ive made so many friends already. It helps and its worth it!

3 Likes

Is there anyone you feel like you could bring with you? Just so you’re not alone? Doesn’t have to be a nondrinker.

1 Like

Yes I asked my sister and she said she would go with me😊

3 Likes

If the way you are doing things now (without meetings) isn’t working, change what you are doing (meetings).
Best,
Chandler

1 Like

Going to AA and working a programme was one of the the best things I ever did . You won’t know unless you try. I can’t get to my group as much just now as I’m travelling around with work but I contact my sponsor often enough and will make it next week and really looking forward to it.

Might not be for you, but it will certainly not do you any harm.

1 Like

Ohhhh that’s right. I always forget about 12 step calls. Lol, I have heard a horror story or two from old timers on calls they’ve been on. They always end their story with “and that’s why you never go on a 12 step call alone” :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’ll listen on my commute tomorrow😁

1 Like

Yeah but I don’t know which kind of meeting I can go to with them. There are different codes of types of meetings. I just don’t want to do something wrong and start off wrong. Idk why I’m so afraid of making a mistake before I even try

You are basically welcome at any meeting you see. With the exception of no women at a designated “men’s” meeting and no men at a “women’s”. That’s it

Every meeting has an organic quality to it. Meaning it grows into what it will. Always kinda changing. A Step study meeting is where you speak on a certain one of the 12 steps. It starts with that but thru discussion could end up talking about marriage.

No matter what, you will hear parts of your story coming from people all over the room. It still amazes me that someone I have never seen can have so much in common with my story.

The only “requirement” to be at ANY meeting is the desire to stop drinking. Period. There is a basket that goes around that you can put a dollar in if you want but that’s not in any way required. Everyone in that room wants you there. Is happy you are there. I promise😉 Anyone in that room will tell you the only possible mistake you could make is NOT going to a meeting if you have the desire to.

1 Like

The room you are in usually has a rent. 20$ish. Coffee. To buy a new comer a big book if they can’t afford it. Things like that. And every few months if there is $$ left over it goes to the central AA office

1 Like

My town has a meeting house that is owned by First Baptist Church. Right across the street and used exclusively for 12 Step groups. I believe the church donates it.
Very cool thing to do.
Chandler