Welp I suck at this

So I relapsed last night. It was really bad. So bad I had to call off work this morning. I just feel like a failure. I can’t get out of bed. I just can’t seem to cope with everyday life. My depression fuels the drinking and the drinking makes everything worse. I need hope but I’m just so lost right now.

3 Likes

This is a difficult cycle to break out of. I deal with depression as well and it was the root cause of my drinking habits, and just addiction as well.

I had to face a lot of things to become sober. What are you doing to confront what’s causing your depression? Have you seen a therapist, or started AA?

1 Like

I’ve tried both. Neither made much of a difference. I ended up drinking more frequently when I talked about my problems more. I always start out so well and then something happens and I’m back to square one again.

:disappointed: I’m sorry to hear that, that is really frustrating.

Hi Ariel!

Fun Fact: My Daughter’s name is Ariel. We named her after The Little Mermaid.

Another Fun Fact: The mind is a powerful thing.

I was reading last night that there has been over 900 studies that prove that daily meditation improves depression and anxiety. Just 5 minutes a day! I find that fascinating.

Also, some studies suggest that you’re more likely to stay sober long term with daily meditation than with AA alone, and best results are both daily meditation and AA.

Another great natural antidepressant is exercise. 20 minutes a day of moderate exercise is all it takes.

Food for thought.

9 Likes

@Scariel
First off, you’ve come to the right place.
Keep coming back, checking in and sharing with us. Second : you don’t “suck at this” cause sobriety isn’t something you “get good at” . There’s no such thing as an expert sober person. There’s just today. There’s just you, your heart, your goals and this present moment. When you choose not to drink, you help strengthen your mind, heart, goals.

Depression is its own animal. It’s separate from our drinking, but the two work together. Alcohol is a depressant. It literally makes us depressed.
If you drink when you’re depressed and you get depressed when you drink, you’ve basically created a perpetual misery machine. Eventually you have to get off the merry - go-round.

Do you people in your life that support your sobriety?

3 Likes

sorry AA meets didnt agree with you
.when i first went i didnt really want to be there but i got stuck in because i had a desire to stop and .as Dasindog
says meditation helps aswell and meetings wish you well

1 Like

I wouldn’t give up on counseling - it makes us worse before it gets better. We feel SHIT because it’s the first time we have to deal with feelings, instead of numbing them out. If you go into therapy with the knowledge you’ll likely feel worse than better for the first few months, then that could help you power through.

But yeah, alcohol is like gasoline for depression/anxiety. It makes it worse although temporarily it might make us forget.

Surround yourself with positive people and take plenty of rest. And please don’t write groups or medical help off. X