Whack-a-mole

Alright so, I was on this forum about a year ago…I’m back. I just hit 30 days without alcohol, about 4 months without cigarettes and over a year without other drugs. Woo! I consider myself an addict. It all comes from the same place. I feel like I’m playing whack-a-mole constantly and am pretty tired. Recently, it’s eating sugar and masturbation. I know it’s all the same and I don’t get why I can’t just identify what I feel, handle it and move on. Or maybe the problem is that that is exactly what I’m doing. I identify that I am uncomfortable with my reality, I fix it and I move on. The question is, what other option is there? I really want to know.

6 Likes

Yeah I think a lot of is addicts are in the same boat. One addiction after another. The good news is that you can identify your issues with trying to substitute something, you now have to figure out what that hole is you’re trying to fill. I ask myself “ok, what feeling is it you’re avoiding right now?” And go from there. I think the 12 steps are good for that, as many on here can attest to that. Keep searching to find things that truly fulfill what you’re needing, not temporary fixes!

3 Likes

Find a healthy addiction? Is that ok to say lol I know a lot of people say exercise… But a lot of people aren’t very motivated. However it does give you that natural high, you see a change physically, you feel a change mentally. You can get out of your head.

I have always enjoyed working out so it hasn’t been an issue for me. But something I’ve heard recently that I realized I had always been doing with exercise, is find something you actually enjoy doing. That seems really obvious. But even I get into the mentality of having to do something specific for the results I’m looking for-which isn’t true. I hated doing cardio at the gym, so now I do it outside and go to the gym for less time to lift weights. If you don’t like running, try hiking etc.

I’m not sure if that’s any advice you could relate to, but basically I think finding healthy outlets that distract and fulfill your mind and body will stop the cycle of unhealthy addictions.

3 Likes

I have defiantly found that hiking and running and just being active has helped a lot!

5 Likes

I totally get the whack a mole thing. You totally hit it on the Head for me. Stopped drinking a couple months ago. All I Cain think about is sugar and any high I my brain comes up with. I still abstain from the high, but it’s always on my mind. Will join a 12 step help soon after work slows down. Hope I Can stay sober till then. :persevere::persevere:

2 Likes

It’s true once an addict always an addict. Just have to find that one healthy thing that keeps your mind busy and helps you improve your life instead of destroying it or running down your body.

I know that I have defiantly been craving sugar and anything that gets me going, I love caffeine. I was drinking alcohol and smoking pot every day. For a while there was doing both plus doing cocaine, every day. Than I stopped the cocaine, than I have been 28 days of no alcohol. I still smoke a lot of weed though. But I am kinda trying to stop that but it’s baby steps I think.
So getting back to what I was saying once an addict as an addict to something. Couple things that has helped me a lot is working out, mediation and a lot of self talk.

Hang in there we all battle every day! But remember you are only as strong as you believe you are.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies guys. My therapist says the antidote is reconnecting with yourself, so exercise makes a lot of sense since it just clears you mind and connects you with your body. Gotta just keep plugging away everyday!

1 Like

It’s not uncommon for people in early recovery to gain weight. It’s okay to eat sugar to squash a craving. It’s ok to drink a lot of coffee if it helps. I has a counselor in rehab who has a master’s degree in substance abuse counseling who advocated chocolate, steak and coffee in early recovery. Is it healthy? No, not really. Is it better than drinking and using? You’re damn straight it is. I’ve never stripped off all my clothes, puked all over myself, or stole $5,000 because I ate to much chocolate.

3 Likes

Excellent point @Englishd. Beats a concussion, a fuzzy drive home or having to keep the lights on so the room doesn’t spin.

1 Like

Did you ever have to hold onto the floor so you didn’t fall off the Earth? Yeah, I did, and it wasn’t from drinking coffee lol

1 Like

Or when you have to keep one foot on the floor while lying in bed so that the room stops spinning.

Sadly, my grandmother taught me that trick.

I joined the Greek army since I have no social life really around me, but I draw and write poetry just do something that occupies your time or just go for a big jump like I did…find a new adventure

1 Like