What are our biggest alcohol trigger and relapses? A. Anxiety B.sadness C.Impulsivity D.Craving E.Stress

My biggest triggers is stress and relapse is also stress

1 Like

The past. But the GREAT thing is that being sober allows me the control to file the past where it belongs.

3 Likes

Biggest trigger for me is stress. It causes depressive drinking. Relapse gives me anxiety

2 Likes

Stress and week-end related anxiety ! :frowning:

2 Likes

Feeling really good! Especially when I close a deal or finish a project.

The cravings come hard then.

2 Likes

Anxiety no doubt. I have anxiety and depression and would take depression over what anxiety does to me any day.

2 Likes

All of the above plus happiness, content, love, basically every emotion you can think of can act as a trigger for me :joy:

2 Likes

All of the above. Its uncontrollable.

2 Likes

Being awake😀 actually it would be work related stress!

2 Likes

Right now my biggest trigger is Friday after work and long weekend days

2 Likes

A, b, c, d, and e.

1 Like

Stress and Sadness, and Weekends :expressionless:

2 Likes

I find my biggest trigger is just wanting that extra enthusiasm during social events or even just rocking out to some tunes in my lonesome. Music is a huge trigger for me. But as good as I feel for the first hour or so after my first swig, I know its not worth the rest of my night being in a depressed slumber, being spiteful towards my friends, and wasting money I dont have to powder my nose. Im only 10 days in sobriety and unlike past struggles, this one feels good. Went away on a cottage trip with friends and had absolutely no desire to indulge. For the time being, I’m ahead of my triggers and feels great!

4 Likes

That’s definitely a big one. I try to think of my emotional state come Monday morning after a weekend of binging and doing/saying reckless things when I get triggered during the weekend.

2 Likes

As much as I love music, sadly, it is a tirgger for me as well. I liked jamming out to music by my lonesome and getting ripped. Guess we need to reprogram our brain in that department. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I can’t agree more.

1 Like

Aw, those evil delusions. How I loathe them.

1 Like

I’ll feel really good about something for a minute or two until my sneaky alcoholic mind tries to tell me to enhance that feeling by getting ripped and waking up emotionally and physically like hell the next morning.

1 Like

I will try that. For this Friday I made dinner reservations for right after I get home from work. I thought if I broke the habit of coming home to do nothing it may help. Next Friday I’m going to the movies right after work. I have what I call the witching hours- from 530 to 8 where I have the urge to drink and if I stay busy until 8 I am ok.

1 Like

Stress, boredom and social awkwardness