What are your biggest triggers?

Triggers are being alone, feeling alone, bored, depressed, unwanted, useless or existential.
Usually all of the above.

Friends, boredom, having a good day, having a s*** day, stress!

My spouse.

1 Like

Ouch :frowning:

I smoke when my spouse stresses me which leads me to eventually drink. Ive been trying to quit smokingā€¦ Breaking Black & Molds in half and passing up the store to buy another smoke, but this personā€¦ Or maybe its me. Heā€™ll, its gotta be me, but thatā€™s how I cope. If I didnā€™t smoke, the likelihood of a relapse would be more slim. Just saying. At least I realize that much. Iā€™m not even a regular smoker, mainly when the spouse wonā€™t listen.
Perhaps, ill just start talking to myself more. I
donā€™t know.

Being home alone (where i did the majority of my drinking), and stress/anxiety.

1 Like

Anxiety that seems to attack for no reason. It would be so easy to grab a bottle and make it quiet. But I wonā€™t. Not even 3 months in, but thatā€™s time Iā€™ll never get back if I succumb.

Social situations, weekends, celebrations

1 Like

Being awake :stuck_out_tongue:

It feels like everythingā€¦ In my mind, everything became better with alcohol. Stressed? Drink. Relaxing? Drink. Eating? Drink. Socializing? Drink. The only thing that wasnā€™t seemingly better was being at work (too nervous about getting caught). And hell, if I had worked from home or without direct contact with others, I would have been drinking then too.

3 Likes

For its after from a long hard day at work and you get home tried and think I deserve a cold beer but it dosenā€™t end with one or two l have drink the pack

This is what I found helped me. Itā€™s hard. I had to say it over and over and then more but I finally learned.

Acceptance

"And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation ā€“ some fact of my life ā€“ unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.

ā€œNothing, absolutely nothing happens in Godā€™s world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on lifeā€™s terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.ā€

*Boredom
*Stress
*When I want to reward myself for doing something
difficult.
*Being tired

2 Likes

Nicely said. Thank you.

1 Like

Anything and everything I wud find any excuse to drink and now I can do the same. Iā€™m 51 days in and finding reasons to drink all the time n then fighting cos Iā€™m finding reasons not too by gum itā€™s a battle sometimes n sometimes easy as peeing yaself

Actually I cannot take credit for it. Itā€™s a quote from pg 417 in AA big book. Oh it pissed me off the first time my counselor said it to me. My thoughts we so self focused. You just donā€™t know how bad ā€œIā€ have it lol. I still laugh about that now.

Anything that has to do with my heart being broken (past, present, and future).

2 Likes

Impulse is the biggest trigger
Impulsivity to compuslion and the relapses

1 Like

May sound stupid but loneliness.Been divorced and living on my own 6 years next month. Havenā€™t seen my boys in I dont remember when . Not having someone to talk to and having nothing to do wears on you.

1 Like

Being alone. Itā€™s a terrible feeling. Learning how to deal with that sober is all new to me.

1 Like

I donā€™t have as much of a problem with it now that Iā€™ve developed my system but my first year off I had a massive problem with waking up. The first half hour of every day I used to have the most intense cravings.