What are your ‘getting through the cravings’ methods?

Get the dog and go on a nice long hike! :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

To be honest, i wouldnt recommend quitting drinking and smoking at the same time. In fact, the rehab i went to strongly adviced against it.

Quitting drinking (or dealing with any addiction for that matter) is hard enough as it is. Obviously smoking doesnt contribute to good health but it won’t kill you instantly. I don’t know about your personal situation but for me giving up alcohol was a matter of life and death. Which is why i decided to focus on my alcohol addiction for now, and start thinking about quitting cigs once my life is a bit at ease (and that takes up more time than i anticipated. Im sober for 330 days today and although im finally kinda finding a way of life im still a long wat from being stable).

Don’t get me wrong, for some people the go hard or go home method is the way to go. I’ve met fellows at meetings who gave up cigs, alcohol, drugs, caffeine and sugar all at once and for them it works. But my advice would be to take it one step at a time.

Trying to tackle multiple addictions at the same time, relapsing at one could trigger relapse at all. In this case smoking a cig might fight your alcohol cravings.

Be nice to yourself, addiction is hard enough as it is without trying to take on the entire world at once :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve tried giving up loads of time like most of us. I exercise a lot to ignore the cravings but the problem is you can’t exercise all the time. I’ve tried l glutamine suppiment but over the last 3 evenings that does not work for me. I’ve got my biggest test on Saturday the rugby on the tv and normally I would get smashed. At the moment I’m saying I will not drink in my head whenever I think or see alcohol lol. I wish there was something to take the cravings away and everything else I can cope with lol.
I’m on day 13 woo hoo I will get to 15 and beyond :sunglasses:

2 Likes

congrats on day 13! thats fantastic! and i know how you feel about the rugby – my boyfriend wants to kick off his saturday birthday celebration at the pub to watch the game. i’m so tempted to go and watch with him/them but it’ll be too tempting to join in the libations.

I immediately pray for my higher power to remove my obsession and I call my sponsor and talk to him with whats going on. Has worked for the last 180 days.

1 Like