What are your triggers?

I usually have a craving out of boredom, wanting to fit in with friends and family who still drink, or (very seldom now) anxiety like being around new people.

The counter and this forum has helped keep me focused. When I have a craving I try not to distract myself or avoid it but really take time to think about why I want it, is there any true benefits, am I my best when I’m sober?

It’s kept my head above so far so I’m sticking with it as long as I can. Thanks for posting I like hearing how others are coping :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nothing. I pick back up it’s because I wanted to. Anything else is just an excuse, and a bad one at that.

9 Likes

This is the absolute truth.

1 Like

Being tired makes me crave beer

My biggest triggers are boredom and being alone when I have nothing to do but think…it usually triggers my general anxiety disorder and leads to depressive thoughts.

2 Likes

Sounds like me too. I also notice I drink when I am really tired. Its like a treat I tell myself I deserve after a 14 hour day. But this usually ends badly.

Truth. Thanks.

1 Like

I am currently in menopause and dealing with sobriety. Fun stuff.

3 Likes

So many women get deeper into the wine bottle during this time. My drinking got heavier when I was going through it and alcohol makes it so much worse but know you’ll get through it.

I’m noticing something in the different ways people talk about triggers.

For me, I don’t like the term trigger, because that seems to imply the trigger is pulled and boom, a drink is at your lips. If that happens, something is wrong with your defenses.

I instead see the trigger as something that stirs whatever desire to drink remains in you. Ultimately we hope to get to a place where that desire is gone. The more the desire is gone, the less of an effect it’ll have on you.

So you get triggered - nothing is said and done, because you can choose how to respond. You can decide to drink, and in doing so turn your trigger into an excuse, and you’ve lost. Or you can decide to stay sober.

Not to split hairs, but I don’t consider trigger and excuse to be the same thing. Bear with me. Triggers are situational stimuli that spark our desire and temptation to drink, and excuses are the flawed ways we try to justify relapse to ourselves based on the situation we were triggered in. They’re almost the same thing, and tied tightly together, but to present them as the same thing is oversimplifying it. We speak of avoiding our triggers and coming up with excuses, we don’t talk about avoiding our excuses and coming up with triggers. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

8 Likes

For me, trigger is a specific word that relates to reactivation of a traumatic memory, experienced by those with PTSD or other mental health challenges arising from trauma.

If it’s alcohol related, it’s a craving. For me, a craving can include both both physical or mental/emotional components or both.

6 Likes

I just made excuses like “drinking was something all musicians did. Before shows, on stage, travelling between shows, after shows” etc. Being around my bandmates (who all drink, both bands), and playing 95% of my shows in bars, isn’t a trigger for me. I just find ways to let my excuses to drink be stronger than my reasons not to.

To this day, I remember the day my excuse to start drinking came, and it’s been something I’ve regretted since.

4 Likes

Step One: Admiting we are powerless to alcohol and our lives are unmanageable.

The unmanageable part, to me, means that I use alcohol in place of dealing with emotions like an adult.

So instead of listing “triggers”, I will list emotions that I suck at dealing with like an adult:

All the emotions.

In order to not get “triggered” I need to learn how to handle emotions as they come. I’ve pretty much mastered boredom and loneliness.

5 Likes

Yes to all of this. And this is both tragic and hilarious, as it also applies to me.

3 Likes

I was drinking a bottle a night probably through most of my pre menopause but ended up in hospital in March. Because I have blood clots I can’t take anything to help with any of the symptoms from menopause and now I haven’t a clue what is menopause, what is effects from alcohol :wine_glass: or is it something mental. So I take one day at a time. I am noticing I am now eating more and sugar is constantly knocking down my door.

Mine is feeling guilty for isolating myself bc I can’t handle social pressures and my weight. I use to be super into bodybuilding and I was anorexic when I was younger. I just got in to drugs and alcohol over the past 2 years after my boyfriend overdosed and I was alone and sad and didn’t know how to handle it. I’d been clean for 7 years. It makes me so f***** pissed that I’m here again. And that I have failed SO many times bc I freak out over 10lbs. :slightly_frowning_face:

Everything was an excuse for me to get loaded. Thankfully I’m in an awesome IOP program and AA meetings are a godsend. I’m rarely bored now because I’ve become focused on getting my life back. I read a lot and do crafts now. I use to love tv, but I hardly watch it now because it gets on my nerves.

3 Likes

“Trigger” just means that it triggers a desire to use.
Many users have no desire to use until a certain set of circumstances arises.
Some seem to be confusing this word with “reason” or “excuse”.

5 Likes

Same. I’ve noticed it a LOT more in the past few months. As far as alcohol goes, I feel like the way it’s used in movies is never really how it is in real life. At least in my experiences.

1 Like

Me too! It gets crazy for me. The urge is intense during that time. I hope it gets easier with time.

1 Like