What did you discover about yourself after being sober?

I always considered myself an introvert, cause I never wanted to make conversation. In fact, I deliberately avoided conversations whenever I could. Although, it is probably true that I do have some degree of introvertedness.

I came to realization that I didn’t want to talk to ppl because I was always hungover or exhausted from drinking and coke use. I never used at work, only after work, so I was always in the recovery phase at work.

After being 10 days clean, I immediately noticed the energy that I have now. Also, I am a lot more talkative (though I feel like I just jibber jabber). For so long, I’ve accepted who I was, just this quiet person, and that was the norm. Little did I know my true form was simply exhausted and beatdown.

Did anyone else have any discoveries about them selves after being sober? And how long did it take for you to make the discovery?

16 Likes

I’ve learned just how dulled my emotions are. Working on dealing with suppressed issues and emotions now. It was tough at first, but I’ve found here lately that it’s better to put in the work and deal with it rather than drown it all out.

8 Likes

Yes i love this! I have found that i have way more energy and im way less emotional and mean lol!!

7 Likes

Dull emotions… I get that. It was like I was on autopilot for the longest time.

4 Likes

I’m on day 10 as well.
What I’ve noticed, which was one of the many reasons I wanted to stop drinking, is less inflammation in my body. Because alcohol is processed like sugar which causes inflammation and then causes a plethora of other issues.
I’m constantly using my hands and arms because I’m a massage therapist and I’ve developed carpal tunnel. In combination with the inflammation would mean me waking up with my wrist and hands painfully numb almost every night. I’ve maybe had that happen once in the last 10 days and it wasn’tas severe.
Also less redness in my face.

6 Likes

Definitely more energy. More productive at work.
And I think my family actually like me now!:grinning:

13 Likes

That’s wonderful to hear you saw immediate change! Especially because your hands are part of the job. And we’re sober twins! Congrats on your 10 days

1 Like

Yes!! More energy and sharper thinking.

1 Like

That im actually a good mum an can have a laugh without drink and drugs. Ive found out that the people i was using with were just associates and the people i have around me genuienly care for me now and dont want nothing off me but my company, my life is good clean an sober, and im actually starting to like myself. Loving this

8 Likes

Right there with you. Finally almost two months in am I actually able to pinpoint which emotion I’m feeling at each time. My therapist gave me an emotion wheel. There are layers and layers of emotions we have it’s incredible to rediscover them and actually feel instead of constantly wearing a cape that numbs.

6 Likes

More energy, much more productive in everything, more motivated, clear thinking, not as anxious, can deal with problems or bad situations/news much better, self care and mindfullness improved. Emotions im working on through energy healing but i numbed myself from those for years so this will take time.
Physical - putting weight on as i just didnt eat when drinking or hungover. Skin hydrated and not constantly red and dry!
SLEEP i love sleep and i get much betted rest!
Sure there will be more over time but overall everything is better sober even the negative!

8 Likes

That maybe just maybe I’m not a complete asshole :man_shrugging:t3:. Time will tell.

6 Likes

That I can make a difference in the world, even if it’s only for one person a day, and somedays, even if that person is me. And that I am worthy and NOT a mistake!

13 Likes

Maddox, thos rings so true with me too! I constantly felt - “ugh, I don’t have time for people’s idle chit chat” and “this conversation is so unimportant”. I never really felt very physically ill while I was in a state of daily recovery - but clearly my brain was working so hard that I was lacking mental energy for language and conversation.

Lol, and I am definitely more talkative too. My sons friend (8 years old) who I have known for four years said. “You are talking SO much today” :rofl:

3 Likes

Hahaha! Yes you are! I just laughed at this post :rofl:

2 Likes

Cath, I am loving the truly genuine laughs I am having with my little boy now. I really feel the joy deep in my heart at the silliest things. Like a bee landing and sitting on his hand when he was riding his bike last week. Much more mental space for the fun and silly now.

3 Likes

Yes you can :heart:

2 Likes

Girl I love this!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I try to sound inspirational lol…did it work?

2 Likes

Aww thanks!