What did you discover about yourself after being sober?

I discovered that i have more of a clear mind…and i actually think before i act…level headed more like it…and i am more inspired to continue my sobriety

3 Likes

It sure did!!! You nailed it! :wink:

2 Likes

I discovered that the driven, disciplined guy I was when I left the Marines in 1998 is still there. He was just buried under 22 years of excuses, bullshit, and booze. Got rid of the booze, no more excuses. Discipline Equals Freedom.

11 Likes

Goal accomplished!! YASS lol

1 Like

I realized alot.
I realized how emotionally immature I am in certain scenarios. Which gave me the opportunity to work on turning that weakness into a strength.
I additionally realized I enjoy physical challenges.
Running, biking, trail running. Ect.

4 Likes

You should write a book :wink:

1 Like

For me I’ve learmed I’m really critical of myself and negative self talk a lot which I really shouldn’t be because sober me can accomplish a hell of a lot and ten times better than high me!

7 Likes

I still run over curbs, break glasses and dance better!

2 Likes

And, I can still make people laugh!

3 Likes

4 Likes

We so much now cause we are aliiiive!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like that word: freedom. Perfectly describes sobriety.

4 Likes

That I’m not the deadbeat drug addict an drinker I was originally labelled for so long. I actually can improve and shouldn’t write myself off.

5 Likes

Hi Madfox, I relate so much to your post. I binged wine every two days, and during my “recovery” phase, I now realize I eschewed conversation because I was mostly focused on getting through the work day and the hangover as gracefully and discreetly as possible. I’m at 10 days as well! I’m feeling great. In a lot of ways, I feel more powerful because I’m in control. I realize that I’m not too tired to exercise or make time for family now that I’m not drinking. So much time and opportunity opens up when we’re not squandering hours and hours during and after drinking. The hardest part is saying no to the “one or two” drinks I want so badly after work; they always lead to the whole bottle. I’m trying to stay focused on how great it feels to wake up rested after a good night’s sober sleep. Anyway, thanks for your post, and good luck to you! :muscle:t3:

7 Likes

I’m going to make this my mantra! It’s so true that discipline equals freedom. If I can avoid the first drink, I’ll be in control and free from the inevitable problems drunkenness brings.

1 Like

You can really embrace this concept by reading this book: https://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Equals-Freedom-Field-Manual/dp/1250156947/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2V5G6ZITTBWAF&keywords=discipline+equals+freedom+field+manual&qid=1556154845&s=gateway&sprefix=discipl&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

3 Likes

I posted this is haste. If my sobriety was a Magic the Gathering card, it would look like this. Made this in MSPai t at work :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is just what I need to keep my resolve strong. I’m heading to Amazon right now!

1 Like

The one or two glasses of wine after work that turned into the whole bottle. :raising_hand_woman:‍♀That was me too.
@Stella1 @Madfox we’re sober triplets now!

3 Likes

I lived with depression and debilitating anxiety for years. I thought the poision “alcohol” was helping to calm my nerves and put my inhibitions on autopilot. What i discovered was quite the contrary, it in fact was the culprit of my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I’ve been clean for six months and completly off antidepressants and anxiety medication. I feel like a new woman. I use thus analogy to describe my current life. I went through a metamorphosis, i was transformed from a cocoon to a monarch butterfly. My wings were broken and hindered me from flying. I’ve been let out of my cage, free to roam and discover a new way of life. I’m never turning back to old ways, thinking and habits. I am FREE.

6 Likes