What did you discover about yourself after being sober?

I’m returning to a version of myself before drugs an alcohol, so when i was a kid. I am kind, caring, thoughtful of others, silly, weird, and a little joyful. I would not have used any of those words to describe myself in the last 20+ years. I’m getting glimmers of this person at over 6 months sober, having felt up until now that i have no idea who i am. I’m surprised to learn that i kind of like myself :two_hearts::bird:

8 Likes

Work hangovers are the deepest level of hell. At 32 days I’m more confident at work, contributing and not just doing the bare minimum and hoping nobody notices.

5 Likes

I’ve had much longer streaks but this time around I’ve made a couple new hobbies stick. I have a finance blog and took up poker.

I’ve discovered sober life isn’t as exciting as the freewheeling nights but I don’t have the hell to pay in the morning either.

I haven’t wanted to date. I would get on dating sites drunk or go by myself to bars. I’m actually just fine being single. It’s hard to imagine a sober first date.

I have tons more free time than I thought.

I actually like getting up early instead of staying up. Feels more natural.

I am going back to Vegas over the summer and wonder if I’ll enjoy it sober. Maybe I’ll enjoy it more.

5 Likes

I’m still discovering what I’ve been suppressing for the last 10+ years of my life while drinking.

Here are a few: I discovered I actually have morals. I actually see the good in being a person of higher values and someone of substance on the inside. I see the possibilities of life so much better now that I am not blurring my vision day in and day out.

6 Likes

Ive discovered that allthough im not able to love myself, im okay (well some days “pretty f…n far from okay”). My personality that was hidden under addiction is unique and precious to me. When i was younger i often thought that i dont belong to any group. Now i start to feel good about not being easily categorized. Its me, im cool with it.

7 Likes

I love this question and the answers people are giving.
Mine is a mixed bag.
The Good:

1. I can take control of my physical well being
  2. I have the discipline to elliminate toxic things from my life

The Not So Good:

1. I have no real friends. I just had drinking buddies.
  2. I have little tolerance for people
  3. I’m not the fun guy to be around
  4. I have difficulty processing my emotions

Honestly, I had more fun and felt more connected to people when I was drinking, even though it was superficial. However, the negative aspects of drinking outweighed the so-called “good”. So overall I’m better off.

3 Likes

To loving ourselves! Cause who knew we were actually pretty cool ppl :slight_smile:

1 Like

So true… I had very good memories (and of course bad) with my party friends. But thinking about it, if you took away the alcohol and drugs… would I still have had fun and felt connected to them? Probably not.

Same here… no matter how low my mental battery was, I still managed to keep up with everything. But man was I struggling. I too feel more confident and definitely a lot sharper mentally at work. I love it.

I learned to connect to everything…my soul, other people, nature, energy…It’s a beautiful life :heart: The trauma of the past doesn’t define me nor dictate my present. My time on this planet is so precious to me now I no longer wish I wasn’t here. I am free :butterfly:

5 Likes

I can’t wait to utter those words “My family likes me again” :broken_heart:
It’ll come, with time and actions. :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m only going on my feelings here. My youngest does come and spontaneously gives me hugs. Which is something she didn’t do.
My eldest has told me she is proud of me.
My Wife has started to wear a pandora bracelet I bought her a few years ago, that she has not worn.
So my guess is that they are starting to accept the new journey I’m on. And that "perhaps"it’s here to stay. Long way to go yet though!

7 Likes

Omg i love it so much, simple things in life and we was always looking for in the wrong places when it always right in front of us, much love xxx

1 Like

This was so wonderful to read!!

Recently one of my AA friends celebrated 10 years. Her husband and children were there and all spoke about how important her sobriety was to the whole family. Her daughter said “Now, I don’t just love my mother, I like her as a person and she is my best friend”. Everyone cried their eyes out. :sob::hearts::sob::hearts:

4 Likes

I find myself more comfortable stepping outside my comfort zone, therefore expanding, which equals growth.

1 Like

It’s crazy how many justifications I can come up with to have the one or two glasses! Long day, I deserve it, I’ll stop after a couple like civilized folks…But it always ended the same- the whole bottle and sometimes opening up the next one. So glad I found this app. Congrats, Lila, on 10 days! We can do this! :blush:

1 Like

As I said it’s a long journey I think. But saying that, the general atmosphere at home is so much better!
Thing is, I didn’t even realise that there was anything amis! I guess I was so disconnected with drinking, I thought everything was fine.
Lost in my own little world of delusion I suppose!

1 Like

About 90 days into sobriety I began to think perhaps I wasn’t clinically depressed after all! Three years in- I KNOW I don’t have depression. There is no doubt in my mind I was extremely depressed while drinking. I’m now happy, healthy and at peace. No prescriptions, no wine. I’m free!!!

8 Likes

I can relate. I experienced the same. Congratulations on your sobriety.

1 Like

Since getting clean and soba ive realised how many shit people i had in my life … no wonder i have no self confidence !! I have no one hurting or using me anymore… i love my new life and true friends from aa and ca … the people who ask how r u and mean it … no more how r u can i borrow money !!!

4 Likes