What do you do to relieve stress and anxiety?

So, vodka and ativan were my go to stress/anxiety reliever for many years. But now that i am sober, and have also been off the ativan for quite awhile, I needed to find another way to cope. My passion has always been making music, so i have dusted off my keyboard, and invested in a ukulele and have been playing until my fingers hurt lol, but it feels great to be reconnected with that side of my life again. So tell me, what are you doing to keep your mind occupied during your recovery?

6 Likes

I’ve been exercising and doing online classes.

2 Likes

Nice!! Keeping yourself both mentally and physically busy!

1 Like

I just started excercising. I think about starting painting again and beeing creative, but that stuff is expensive :tired_face:

3 Likes

I listen to a lot of music and I sing a lot. But work seems to keep me occupied too. I also tried snow boarding for the first time, I fell a lot it was great!
I write short stories too but they’re pretty terrible but no one will see them and they get ideas out of my head. So there’s that.

1 Like

I walk. I just go outside and find nature. It makes my head calm.

5 Likes

I was hooked on Ativan for five years still drinking aswell stopped taking it and a month later stopped drinking and havnt looked back wish you well

2 Likes

My favorite thing to do is read but I also enjoy walking, listening to music and making bracelets because it’s also a form of meditation for me anyways!!

2 Likes

Meditation, swimming, exercise bike and something my mental health nurse gave me called progressive muscle relaxation sequence. It evolves sitting and tencing every muscle one by one from your left foot up for 10 seconds then after you get to the top do start from your right foot then right calf and so on ten seconds each. It releases stress and tension along with anxiety and keep you grounded helps you feel more relaxed and lose xx

2 Likes

make music or play music at volumes too loud for my brain to think about stress. i try meditating and stretching too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I breathe deeply. Just 2 or 3 deep breaths, shuts off the inner chatter that is stressing me out for a little while

1 Like

I’ve recently started meditating with an app called Insight Timer

4 Likes

I do meditation now and guided breathing exercises. I started these when I was ending a two year stint with vodka and valium. They work amazingly Well! You just have to remember to do them when you’re feeling bad. I have about 100 guides meditations on my phone so I can use even if I’m out of service range!

2 Likes

It a tough question to answer for me. But what makes me calm is a conversation with God and meditation in the morning and in the evening. I recite my prayers and praise the God. Then i have a session where i try to speak to God about myself. It keeps me grounded.

2 Likes

Mostly Art. Music, exercise and meditation. I also keep reptiles. I love taking care of them! Lizards are life lol. I have 2 leopard geckos a bearded dragon. And I’m working on a huge enclosure so I can get my first Panther Chameleon!!! I like to stay busy these days.

2 Likes

I have a bearded dragon!

1 Like

What kind of online classes? That sounds fun!

OMG I love my beardie!!! They’re like puppies, if I leave her out of the cage she doesn’t even try to run away hahaha. She just likes to be petted and watch Netflix. Life is good

1 Like

My last beardie was the best cuddler ever. My new one just turned 1yr in October. He is pretty good, but likes to run around and take off more than my old lazy one lol

Will take a look at this thanks