What Do You Want to Improve About Yourself?

I’ve been thinking about this lately. Being Sober has made me realize that I have to work on some aspects of My Life. I’m pretty sure everyone here wants to improve or improve upon something about themselves. Please, feel free to explain it here. Thanks!

2 Likes

I am going to start improving my dependability. Every time I say I’m going to Do something. I’m going to go through with it. This will hold me to my word and make me more mindful of what I say and do.

3 Likes

right on

made me think of the four agreements, pretty cool book worth a read i feel.

11 Likes

I’m going to remind myself to be gentle, kind, helpful and respectful. Then…actually follow through with it. I know that I have a mean/sarcastic streak in me that is so deeply ingrained that I’ve given up hope that God will ever remove it. Without hope, why continue to fight for sobriety? God grant me the serenity…

3 Likes

What a terrific start! Both very noble self improvement’s ^.^

1 Like

What do I want to improve about myself?

Easy: Everything.

I follow the Japanese philosophy of “Kaizen” which means “Change for Good”, or “constant improvement”. I translate it to mean “get better at getting better each and every day. Better today than I was yesterday and tomorrow better still”

I want to be a better husband, father, sales professional, disciple, steward, friend, martial artist…get better at everything.

And better begins with sober.

16 Likes

I work to be less judgemental. I also would like to gossip less. Basically, I need to stay in my own lane more. It all comes from being insecure. A work in progress!!

11 Likes

This is true and we’ve all decided to become Sober for many reasons. There is absolutely Nothing wrong with being getting better at everything. Remember though, some want to improve that 1 or 2 or 3 things that they know they’ve been slackin on ever since they’ve become sober.
Another aspect of my life I wish to improve on? I want to start being more mindful of what I eat and just push myself harder when working out. Going through the oaces isn’t enough. I’m a Veteran and should know bettwr about working out. Some days I slack off and I need to stop doing that.

I have to stop being so hard on myself when I make mistakes. Not even big mistakes, I’m talking small stuff too.
I am driven by efficiency and I am always trying to plan ahead for everything, constantly going through potential scenarios in my head (exhausting) and how to play each of them. I get this from my Dad. Plan and anticipate. Its useful much of the time, but I get pissed with myself when the actual scenario that plays out is not something I had anticipated, or I have overlooked a detail or nuance. It makes me see myself as careless, when in reality I am just human.

I can’t predict the future and I need to be more forgiving of myself when my ability to anticipate things fails me.

7 Likes

Procrastionation…

If it isnt fun then i dont want to do it. Theres alot of things that i need to walk through that arent fun.

I need to clear up some fines i havent paid… stuff I blew off years ago. Some of it prevents me from getting a valid drivers license.

A day turns into a week… week turns into a month and the next thing you know… years! Im good at that. I need to work on it!

Maybe tomorrow… or the next day…its the weekend so i guess it will have to wait until monday… but im going on vacation so maybe when i get back…

See the pattern?

2 Likes

When I was in the rehabilitation center, an old timer and I decided to touch on the subject of procrastination in a group session. Everyone there had that issue, myself included. I too need to work on that as well, Capitan. Damn good Self Improvement goal!

2 Likes

This is a great topic!
There are so many things I could name, but I’ll start with improving my relationship with God! I need to remember to put my trust in Him, and everything else will fall into place.

2 Likes

I want to work on my relationship with my kids and stop the yelling.
Dependability
Self esteem
No judging people
Mental health
Emotional health
Physical activity
Mindfulness
Meditation
Botox LOL :laughing:

2 Likes

I’d love to lose about 15 lbs and continue on a solid vegan life style. Also get back to NJ to be near my kiddo.

1 Like

God, Kids and Weight Loss. All within our grasp. I know each and everyone of you can definitely accomplish those wonderful goals! Everyone else, pitch in.
What would you like like to Improve?

1 Like

My favorite book!!! I have given out at least 6 copies so far and always recommend it lol

2 Likes

I am working on alignment within me. To get closer to my higher self basically! There’s a lot that falls into that category naturally but listening to my own inner guidance is my goal.

1 Like

Becoming more aligned with being and doing what I want to do and be (in regards to what I am feeling emotionally). I tend not to leave relationships I don’t want to be in, i tend to go to parties i dont want to be at, I tend to say yes when I want to say no. Living my truest life in the sense where I can just do and be the person I want to be and not the person everyone else wants me to be.

2 Likes

Healing and resolution for CPTSD
Using dialect thinking for seeing not right or wrong but everyone is right (in their own ways)
Learning to see my oldest as herself and not projection of my own survival maladaptive behaviors (fearing for her)
Being okay with when I am triggered and knowing I am there - being in the process & rising up from it (it is safe to feel these wide ranges of emotions)
Believing in the unknown because when you don’t know you can be excited for the possibilities
Practicing everything I have learned from traumology into my life (multiple times/every day)
Recognition there are ‘parts’ of me - what they wanting in situations and what they are expressing (being intentionally aware).
Devoting my time to provide the space for others to be (I am waiting for my resume to be looked over at the woman’s crisis shelter)

That’s the same issue for me. I do not like that part of me, but I know were it comes from. Working hard on it too.

2 Likes