What does your anxiety feel like?

I didn’t even realize that I had anxiety until I stopped drinking. When I think back now, I can remember being anxious as a child. I just thought it was normal.

I’m still trying to figure out my triggers. I was taking Zoloft and that was helping. Then I had to ween myself off of it because I had gotten laid off and lost my medical insurance.

So… what does your anxiety feel like? Mine is like a feeling of impending doom. Before I know it my hearts racing, I’m sweating and I honestly just feel like running around, screaming “the sky is falling”. That’s the best way that I can explain it. I also have the occasional panic attack.

4 Likes

I have anxiety and PTSD. It makes me wrestless and fidgety. I over think stuff and act irrational.

2 Likes

I have severe anxiety, PTSD, and I’m also schizophrenic. Before today’s relapse my anxiety had gotten a lot worse the last 9 sober days. The only way I’m able to control it is through grounding techniques I was taught at my mental health center. Which basically is to use your 5 senses to gain focus and control your breathing so your body calms down.

1 Like

I dont really have it that much anymore. Going to a.a meetings where ppl understand me, and talking and doing service work is helping it go away. But I use to really over think shit, and dwell on conversation. I’d be afraid to make phone calls. I still will talk really fast sometimes, and my mind will blank out. But it’s gotten better, it was really bad when I drank lol. So I’ll take where I’m at now lol… But I use to be on Zoloft, Adderall, paxil, venflaxazin, welbutrin, Prozac I tried it all. I take nothing now… Just keep trusting your spirtit and it will guide you… When someone tells you youre right where your spoce to be. It’s true

5 Likes

I get shaky and light headed or foggy brain. My chest feels like lead with a heavy lump in my throat. My heart feels like it is beating fast, but it’s not. I have had symtoms of a heart attack, chest, arm and jaw pain, but it’s just my heart struggling with my body taking flight. I also get a sense of doom where if it severe I get suicidal thoughts. I find breathing deeply or exercise helps or remove myself from the situation/person which accelerates my anxiety. Mine are usually worse at night or early morning. Probably due to my subconscious having time to reflect on matters I try to forget.

2 Likes

I feel nervous, like I’m about to faint or vomit, my heart races, I sweat, blush and can’t breathe properly. I also get restless, it’s like a crawling feeling, I can’t sit down, i have to move around and eventually I’m going to hyperventilate and cry.

A lot of thinks makes me nervous, always has and probably always will. People is usually the main thing, but I’m working on it.

1 Like

I sweat so much…
I feel like their is constant pressure on my chest, I take a good whack of anxiety medication which allows me to go out but I hate any kind of communication so I avoided like mad!

2 Likes

Has anyone tried natural herbal remedies for anxiety and does it work? I kicked the smoking addiction so weed is out of the question :grinning:

1 Like

I get super anxious when I crave. I get super restless, irritable, my breathing increases, my mind races, and my emotions are elevated. I dont take medication for anxiety so I usually have to use grounding techniques to calm me down. I use the 5 senses grounding technique alot or use my comfort box (which has everything in it that I can use to ground me). I use breathing techniques as well. Talking to someone helps also I find or going for a walk or exercising.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing everyone. This has helped me a lot. Grounding techniques are definitely something that I’m going to look into.

My experience is paranoid thinking everyone is out to get me, or just over analyzing everything. I was so use to being numb, 5 months in and I still deal with it daily, it gets better, some days better than others, but the alcohol only makes it worse and create more issues because trust me it will be more alcohol use, higher dosage and it will not work no more. Just trying to relearn how to cope with my insecurities and train my mind stay focus and not run from every situation when I feel uncomfortable, now I face it as much as I can which help. I’m kinda all over the place hope it helps! Any questions give me a shout, Peace and blessings

2 Likes