What does your journalling do for you?

Do you any of you folks out there use the daily journal? I never did before, but this time around I’ve started journaling about my day/thoughts before bed and it feels really constructive. I find I can sleep a lot better after I allow myself permission to document my realizations and feelings throughout the day. I’m grateful for it. What does your journalling do for you?

10 Likes

For me, it helped me see my problems wasnt just alcohol.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried journalling but i might do and use that as another tool to my recovery thanks

2 Likes

Yeah, for sure. Alcohol is definitely just serves as a function.

1 Like

It’s a little awkward at first but with consistent practice it starts to feel more natural.

1 Like

I have been journaling since I was 8. It helps me clear my head and process my thoughts about anything.

4 Likes

I havent used this function the entore time ive been on TS. But… i have thought about it. Ive heard amazing things about journalling and how beneficial it can be. Thank u for the post bcuz it reminded me to try this journalling function :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For sure. I’m starting to figure that out… I wonder if it makes any difference to type out an entry or write it. :thinking:

It’s definitely worth giving it a shot. It doesn’t feel like a chore (like I thought it would.) I kind of look forward to writing in it at the end of the day.

1 Like

Putting pen to paper feels more real for me and you have to get your thoughts in order before you write, a kind of meditation, straightening out your head.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. I might get a notebook and start with that format next month. Thank you!

The beauty of a diary or journal is that when you’re in doubt or tempted to drink you can look back on, (if you’ve been truthful in your entries) not only on the good times, but, on the hard times and how you surmounted them and gather mental strength and fortitude from your journey so far. Making an entry before I turn in for the night has become so ingrained that I feel somethings missing if I can’t do it, but, rather than take my paper diary with me on business trips I use a note book app on my phone and transcribe it verbatim when I get home, it works for me.

4 Likes

I am journaling very freestyle nowadays.
In a paper notebook with a real pen…
As this works better for my mind and i like handwriting.

I had some time where I overplanned a bit and put to much hard structure, timelines and check boxes in my journals.

Today main things I am journaling:

• Daily positive imagination (immediately after standing up in the morning with cup of coffee and glass of hot water)
  • Counter thoughts (if mind is telling shit)
  • Exercises from programs or meetings

Separate book:

• Todos (not more then 3 a day)
  • Day planning (including positive and nice things)
  • plans for little private projects

Ok, that’s still structured and very ritualistic :laughing:

I missed it a bit in December and everything got a mess!

5 Likes

That’s a really good idea about transcribing what you wrote. I feel like with my pasts attempts at sobriety I’ve neglected the emotional component. I’ve spent the majority of my adult life escaping from my emotions and using alcohol as a way to cope. But this time around I’m trying something different, journalling. I’m living in a sober house with eleven other women and it can get heated sometimes, to say the least. These moments are lending me opportunities to 1.) not run from my feelings because there’s literally nowhere to go and 2.)To seriously consider how my actions and behaviors affect others. Journalling helps me contemplate those things.

2 Likes

Very nice. Some folks, such as yourself might need that structure, there’s nothing wrong with that. :slight_smile: I’m kind of using journalling as a thought dump, just getting everything onto the screen (or paper) so that I can process my feelings and become more aware of them as a result.

2 Likes

Your sobriety is what you make it, you need to own it and make it the centre of your life and take each day as it comes, but, never give up :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been keeping journals for most of my life. Short stories , lyrics , poems , daily observations. For me journaling takes some of the weight off my shoulders. It clears my mind. It helps me stay in today and to also put things into perspective. I know I probably take these journals for granted but one day when I’m a lot older I’m sure I will appreciate them.

3 Likes

For sure. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, for sure. I sometimes read my old book of poems from High School. They’re a bit cringe-worthy but it’s cool to see how far I’ve come (writing-wise.)

2 Likes

I know what you mean about looking back on old stuff it’s like damn I really wrote that. It can be kind of funny. But definitely be able to see the progress. I don’t really understand grammar and I’m definitely not a wordsmith but it’s still enjoyable to write.

4 Likes