What fresh hell is this!?

I decided to quit smoking. My latest stint started 3 years ago after my mother died. Before that, it was 10 years or so since I had smoked on the regular. After just being grossed out more and more by it, and reading up on how alcoholics who smoke are more likely to relapse, I decided it was time. I’ve been 88 days off the drink, but only 23 hours off nicotine. The last time I quit cold turkey it barely phased me. After feeling like a doped up zombie with a headache today, I now feel like I have pins and needles up and down my arms and I’m restless as hell trying to sleep. Gah. Going to use my new skills in patience to ride this out, but good lord, this sucks worse than it did quitting drinking. More physical pain. :tired_face::tired_face:

9 Likes

It’s hard!! I have 82 days without drinking and want to tackle smoking next but haven’t actually tried. You’re an inspiration you got this!

2 Likes

Good for you! Quitting nicotine sucks! I tried and failed so many times. I quit both nicotine and drinking the same day, hopefully it sticks this time, but I guess that’s really up to me.

Been 43 days now, and i never want to go back.

4 Likes

Good luck, I quit 582 days ago and I do noy miss it for second. I quit cold turkey but I did read Allen Carrs easy way to quit smoking and it helped A LOT. I was not expecting it to work so well. Would highly recommend for anyone trying to quit!!! You can smoke while you are reading it.

3 Likes

Breaking my nicotine addiction (I dipped smokeless tobacco for 34 years) was hard. I tried cold-turkey. Brain got foggy and then on day 3, I could barely put a cogent thought together. I got the nicotine lozenges and followed the plan that came with the box, to the letter. Took about 6 weeks, and then I was able to quit the lozenges.

4 Likes

If I need to, I’ll keep this in mind - thank you! I’m doing much better this morning. I’m actually excited about this, I am sick of doing things to my body that are just hurting me.

3 Likes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cddev.breathe&hl=en

It helped me.

1 Like

I am 29 days nicotine free and about 2.5 months since I last smoked/vaped (did them fairly interchangeably). I used the nicotine patches and they worked for me.

I have also been dipping into Allen Carr’s stop smoking book which I am hoping will help shift my mindset enough to help me stay quit (I have stopped and started before). Time will tell but I think it has helped, I have been around people smoking without feeling like I need to have one. Being sober also helps as I often used to cave to cigs when I was drunk and then just carried on after the fog lifted.

But my mood was all over the place for a couple of weeks. I’m finally working out what my natural baseline level of head-fuckedness is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like