What gets you through the day? Sober thoughts uggghh

Hi everyone would love to here what everyone does to stay sober. Of course meetings. But what else?

2 Likes

Distractions. It can be anything. For me it’s walks, video games, writing a book, learning Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, cooking, my dogs, watching movies, tv series. Keeping busy keeps the mind away from wrong thoughts.

I keep a small reminder with me. It’s a tiny Buddha statue, probably made of copper. It’s old. Very old. It’s tiny. Just as long as two thumbnails. I am not religious at all and I believe Buddha himself told folks not to pray to him or to idols.

For me it’s not an idol. It’s just a reminder. A physical thing I can see and touch and feel. It keeps me on the path. I take it with me when I need to. To parties, social events, even funerals. I keep it in my trouser pocket and feel it’s cold surface. It has helped me many times.

Best of luck in your journey.

5 Likes

Cooking- I’m learning loads of new stuff
Lots of walks, it’s sunny but cold so nice to get out listen to music and get out of my own head!
And the most important thing, being present for my family and not falling down drunk at the end of the night- that’s the biggest thing for me!

2 Likes

Yes I know what you mean being present for my family and not looking like a drunken fool is probably one of the biggest things that keeps me going. I wish my family alone would have been enough for me to quit drinking, but unfortunately I had to go into liver failure before I changed my bad habits.

2 Likes

Honestly any hobby I ever did I had a drink in my hand. I’ve been sober almost a year, but covid had my state shut down so things were easy just bein at home. Now everything is opening back I keep thinking damn this is going to be so weird without alcohol lol.

1 Like

I do kind of the same thing with my cross necklace, hamsa ring, and my evil eye earrings lol. All a higher power so I need all the powers I can get lol.

2 Likes

I have learned a bunch of new hobbies! Crochet, banjo, Jigsaw puzzles…

2 Likes

Archery and my hunting obsession

Cooking, making stained glass, cross stitch, doodling, walking my doggy, gardening (now spring is here) I’ve taught myself all sorts on you tube, build a limestone boarder wal around my garden last summer, thank you you tube :pray:t2: I couldn’t imagine enjoying cooking again with out booze. I was hit and miss for a good shift x months with wanting to be in the kitchen without my wine but I substituted wine for ginger beer with ice, still using my fave wine glass and I couldn’t believe how I got right back into it. It was just having that glass at arms reach that reprogrammed my habit brain. Now I’m at 605 day I don’t even need a drink at hand to cook some delish new things. Give it time. Try things you used to enjoy and just substitute the drink. Honestly, you do it enough times your brain resets. :pray:t2: Hope you find something that fills you with joy :pray:t2:

3 Likes

Read read read. Read on here. Read blogs on the internet. Read books of addiction and sobriety.

For me it was more important to keep sobriety the main focus of my attention for quite a while rather than distractions. Overtime as I got more confidence in my sobriety I started to let other things back in.

2 Likes

Trying to really focus and appreciate the little things that I can do because I am sober. What a wonderful cup of coffee! How nice to go to the supermarket! I am doing a great job helping my kids with their homework! Etc

1 Like

That’s a lot of armour. You don’t need so many. A single magical talisman is enough :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Routine has been the most important part of my sober life. It took me a while but I found a consistent daily routine that works for me and keeps me productive. It also doesn’t allow me to have time to think about drinking.

If I find myself with down time I find something to do, go for a walk or read posts on here! Just stay busy :+1:

1 Like