What has been the change you noticed most?

This is where I was at.
I drank anytime I needed to be social. Nervous to learn who I am while sober and in group events but ready to be me for the sake of being me. I’ve had plenty of failed relationships because they were based on alcohol for both parties.

2 Likes

one thing i can recommend for social gatherings is to bring your own drinks - flavored seltzer water, limes/lemons and juice, mountain dew, whateverrrr. make sure you keep your mouth busy with tasty drinks and to not find yourself with ~ only ~ booze to drink. works well in groups too because people assume you’re boozing so folks wont pressure you to have one.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your 3 days! It’s been 20 days for me and the most change I noticed is the clarity and feeling amazing each morning I wake up! Stay strong, we all got this!!

3 Likes

I am only at 5 days. I am much more productive, I still get small urges but I just think about the problems drinking has caused me and I read sober memoirs. “The naked mind” is a good read.

5 Likes

I have lost a good amount of weight without really changing my diet, and I have a lot more energy at my job which requires a lot of energy.

1 Like

I found that I’m no where near as impulsive.
Even when I was “sober” but still a drinker, I found that I was a lot more reactive and emotional. Whilst getting sober has caused some raw emotion I find myself able to see the bigger picture when I’m making decisions.

Also, Ive lost weight, I smell better and I don’t wake up with a pounding head and a phone full of regret every day.

Best of luck to you. Well done on your first few steps

3 Likes

Keep saying yes to more sober days!

I’ve noticed without alcohol and drugs I have a much easier time communicating and handling myself better when I get upset about anything, even minute stuff. I’ve always been an effective communicator but without the haze of intoxication clouding my judgement all the time I feel like I can really … see. AND see what I have done in the wake of my drinking binges… which hasn’t always been pretty. But cleaning up past mistakes is a part of the cleanse

I’ve been able to successfully take charge of everything I couldn’t get a grip on being too drunk all the time(focus at work, in class, with family). Hopefully you’ll have that opportunity as well!

1 Like

I don’t sweat out alcohol all day. Remembering telephone conversations with people, losing weight (though it took time), not having to frantically work out what I did/said the night before and most importantly hearing from my nearest and dearest that I am a much better me without drink.

1 Like

The Biggest change for me and it took longer than a year to get there was the ability to see things the way they are and not dwell on the way they I want them to be.

I can get whatever I want in this world but there is a cost to my peace and serenity. Most of the time I realize that cost as being too high to pay.

5 Likes

Mental clarity, gratitude, lack of anxiety and silver tongue

Congratulations. Day 10 for me. My biggest change has been that I find myself being more motivated to get household projects done. I struggle every few days but I have to tell myself that I know what the outcome will be if I drink…shame and depression with nothing to show for it. I’m always proud of myself the next day.

3 Likes

Yes, I always take my own drinks. Very good advice :unicorn:

2 Likes

@Bheff - First week lack of sleep and anxiety.
First month - Guilt, sorrow, frustration and anger, prayer
After 3 months - over eating, sugar cravings
3-6 months - more sleep, movies
6 months plus - :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first three of many sober days.
There are so many great changes that happen when you get sober. Everyone’s are a little different. Just sit back and take them all in.
It’s so much better in this side.
Hugs

@kyalamanchi you almost nailed what my first marriage was like! (All but that last line):rofl::joy:

1 Like

I’m more confident in myself and in the decisions I make. I get less angry (still working on this one). I listen more and speak less. The productivety and quality of work has sky rocketed. Hell, today I went on my first run in God knows how long (rejoined the National Guard) and was utterly shocked how good I did.

2 Likes

The weight that I’ve gained. Every time I get on the scale the cracks grow a little bit longer. If I don’t turn this around soon I’ll have to buy some damn stretchy pants.

Improved sleep is my favourite. Even a couple drinks affects my sleep in a negative way. I wake constantly, heart racing, full of anxiety. Sober, my sleep is much better and reduced anxiety.

1 Like

I would say first was a drop in weight. A few weeks in my sleep started to improve. Now I see how present I am for myself, my family and friends. Thats something I never had while drinking.

2 Likes

These type of threads are my favorite. They give me so much motivation to move forward

5 Likes