What helped you quit?

I stopped:

• insisting on doing recovery my way
  • rationalizing my behaviour
  • using old strategies that never worked
  • believing my addiction was gone, or that I was safe, after feeling good for a few weeks

and I started:

• listening to advice instead of arguing my point
  • going to lengths I wasn’t willing to before
  • understanding that saving myself from alcohol is worth it (this was huge for me, personally)
  • believing I can stay sober in the long term
3 Likes

A little off of the deep end, but attempting to commit suicide was what started my path to recovery. Thank heavens I’m not on that path anymore

2 Likes

I think what makes it harder for me to quit is that I usually stick to a 6 pack of beer or less and will drink from about 6pm-11pm with water and food. I generally don’t get hangovers doing it that way but do feel tired and not as energetic as I normally would. Also a little irritable. I’ve never blacked out or ended up somewhere I hadn’t intended to. I remember every night I drank, even the heavy nights. I’ve been sick from drinking too much the night before maybe once or twice a year. Never been arrested. That’s the problem I’ve found with AA groups; a lot of the people are there because they were required to go to the meetings after getting in trouble with the law while being intoxicated. I just don’t like the addiction and it’s become a terrible habit that has developed into an every evening thing. I’m gaining weight and not feeling motivated and have no energy to even get exercise.

You listed a lot of not yets. It’s good that you’re stopping now so you don’t need to revisit this thread a year or two from now and list them as reasons why you stopped.

2 Likes