What if a good day is your trigger

I am new to all of this and am finding myself struggling and eventually resetting after staying sober for only a week or two at a time. I have read that you should know your triggers and try and avoid them, however the things that trigger me are usually having a good day with my family and then wanting to celebrate that feeling when we get home with a drink, which turns into 6… Anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this feeling without missing out on the good times with my husband and kids?

2 Likes

Hello. Nice to make your acquaintance! I’m 94 days sober. For me it’s not taking that first sip or mind altering substances no matter what. I’m still new in my recovery and I avoid being around anyone drinking as much as possible. In my opinion, if the ones we love do not have an issue with addiction, they should not mind being sober with us.
My triggers are vast and I attend the rooms of NA and AA. Have you tried it?

1 Like

I know exactly how you feel… I am on day 18 and I have been finding it really hard to change my way of thinking about how to celebrate… to be stressed… angry… happy… I always dealt with every emotion known to man with alcohol…I am learning to literally take one day at a time… and every new day is a massive step forward. . Best wishes

2 Likes

Unfortunately my husband enjoys drinking still. I try and remind myself that this is my sobriety but it is challenging when it is still always around. He supports my decision but is not interested it making the change for himself. I haven’t tried any meetings in person but am try WFS online. Thank you for replying, it is much easier knowing I’m not at this alone!

That sounds incredibly difficult! Some things I do when I am in a situation where people are drinking around me is to always have a non alcoholic beverage in my hand. I’ve discovered some interesting ways to liven up my water. For instance I grind mint and add cucumber which is delicious! Or alternatively I add some fruit and watermelon to it and let it sit for half an hour then ingest it. Sparkling water is also lovely.
I also make sure to exit as soon as I cannot stand it any longer. I either go for a walk or drive. Good for you for taking the initiative. :slight_smile: and please know indeed you are not alone. :heart:

That’s what always led me to relapse. I felt like I deserved to celebrate after a week of not drinking. Looking back on that, I feel really silly for endorsing that type of behavior. When I drive home from work, I always give myself a list of things I hope to accomplish…like cooking dinner, taking my dog for a walk, reading my book, listening to music, catching up with a friend, that way I can stay mentally and physically busy. Something else that has helped me when I REALLY want a drink, is I’ll pour a glass of ice cold coke or fruit juice, whatever I wanted my drink to be on the drive home, just minus the liquor and that typically helps me too. Good luck because it can be quite frustrating

1 Like

Hey there!

I was the same. I’d drink in a bad day, a good day, then every day!

Celebration times can feel difficult for me too. I treat them as a risk as much as a stressful situation. Treat yourself with something else. I know it sounds easier than it is, but it really does get easier to do.

I might go for a walk or call a sober friend or my sponsor. Anything to get rid of that excess energy!

2 Likes

I look at it this way. How is alcohol a reward? Would you reward yourself with a crippling hangover? An arrest? By drinking a bunch of poison? Best case scenario for drinking is misery. And we are lucky if misery is all we get.

That is a great idea, having a list already to go for as soon as I get home. Thank you!