What is the #1 thing that helped you quit drinking?

Losing my job helped me quit finally, and AA helped me stay quit

1 Like

Believing I canā€¦

Realising the gains of sobriety - the only thing between me and sobriety was fearing a great loss. But thereā€™s nothing to miss at all. Every day without it life is more beautiful and clear, not clouded by sickness and shame anymore. Iā€™ve gained life and lost death, and thatā€™s the best I can give to my son.

3 Likes

Difficult to pin point one thing, but reading a lot of Jordan Peterson and watching his lectures really got me thinking about myself and acknowledge my weaknesses. It started the ball rolling for my self improvement and made me realise I was worth the effort. Rules for life 2 (Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping) and rule 9 (assume that the person you are listening to might know something you dont) really stuck with me. And the really important one was rule 4 (compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today).

2 Likes

Is that Jordan Peterson? Great rules. Rule 2 us awesome!:laughing:

1 Like

Yeah, from his 12 Rules for Life. A very misunderstood person I think. I would encourage everyone to read it.

2 Likes

The fact that evey time I drank, I relapsed on Meth. No drinks-no meth!!! 201 days Sober and life is no longer a mess!!!

4 Likes

I had been half heartedly trying to quit, but what pushed me over the edge was getting blackout drunk and waking up in the ICU. The last thing I remembered was leaving the bar and looking back at my wife telling her our ride was leaving. What happened was we were in an unfamiliar city and we got separated after leaving the bar so I wandered into a hotel and booked a room I guess to sleep it off. But I was so bad off I went to the wrong floor, was lost, and must have been incredibly confused because I climbed over a railing and on to a beam, then tried to climb down the beam. I fell 40ft. About halfway down I hit a stairway railing, bounced off, and landed on a trash can behind a reception desk. 1 skull fracture, 2 fractured vertebrae, 2 pelvis fractures, 7 broken ribs, and my right wrist is just destroyed. They have to fuse the wrist next month because nothing is healing there and itā€™s getting worse. After that there was no more denying the problem or thinking I could drink in moderation. I just have to abstain.

2 Likes

Not drinking but heroin, I was slowly dyingā€¦ many people would say i didnā€™t have much time left, i was mixing drugs stopping breathing and something told me im worth more and i have some sort of purpose i still donā€™t know what it is but im hoping to find it

6 Likes

We are so on the same pathā€¦ im not sure what happened to me but i had a moment when enough was enoughā€¦ i havenā€™t looked back sinceā€¦ if i didnā€™t stop i believe i would be dead ā€¦ so glad we both understand what were going throughā€¦ im so proud of u and happy i have u to share all this with x

1 Like

You are my soul sister and Im forever grateful for you!

1 Like

The only thing that allowed me to stop drinking was an intervention by my higher power.

The #1 thing that keeps me sober is AA.

3 Likes

Being told at the age of 28 that I have liver cirrhosis and if I kept drinking I would die.

4 Likes

Mine is my heart. High blood pressure and heart murmur. I cant keep destroying myself

3 Likes

Iā€™ve stopped drinking before but always came up with some stupid excuse to throw myself off the wagon.
Iā€™ve been 6 days sober now which is the longest streatch Iā€™ve never had a single drink in probably 9 months to a year.
What stopped me this time?
Went to jail. Again. Sooooo close to losing an amazing woman. Like so close that if I even raise my voice she is gone.
Unlike other times I thought I could just bullshit my way through it and it would be ok but I never fully committed knowing that one day I wanted to drink again.
Iā€™m done with it now. For good. Itā€™s not even a question. Iā€™m gonna lose my job, the woman that might as well be my wife, and everything else I hold dear in my life if I donā€™t stop. Started going to a program at a church last night and this week Iā€™m gonna go to AA every night. Those arenā€™t going to keep me sober tho. The thought of everything Iā€™m going to lose and changing my horrible attitude about everything and the desire to never sleep on a concrete bed again are going to keep me sober .

8 Likes

Those who love me having to watch me destroy myself,but not today :pray:

1 Like

Exactly that! I wanted to be a better version of me!

1 Like

Im so pleased you are changing the way u think and going to go aa ā€¦ i love aa ā€¦ i try to go to a meeting every day ā€¦ it helps me so much to be around other people who understand what im going through. X

3 Likes