What made you start on your recovery?

What made you start on your recovery to sobriety?:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Wanting to kill myself but not actually being able to.

20 Likes

A few things I guess. I hated the fact that my head wasn’t mine anymore. It was a constant battlefield between the 2 me’s about yes or no drinking, when to drink, how much, were to buy, were to hide, when going to the glass container, etc.
I knew if I keep going on like this I would loose the respect of my husband and children. And what about my health?
The final kick was my dachter saying to me: " mom, I liked you more sober".
(I was sober for 5 years before)
2 weeks or so after she said that was my day 1. Today is my 424 day sober :facepunch:

34 Likes

I got drunk and fought with my husband in front of our kids. Again.
I don’t want my kids to have a drunk mom.
My kids made me start the journey. But now the journey is for me. I need to be healthy and sober not only for them, but for me.

22 Likes

Sick and tired of being angry, depressed, lying, hiding, loosing everything… the list is very lengthy. I got so sick of myself, so I finally decided enough was enough. It took a long time, but today I am happy and proud of myself.

23 Likes

After weeks of bingeing before it was just weekend then it turned to 2 shots every night to drinking whole bottles. Last bottle I drunk I blacked out when I got in the door. That was the only good thing i only lost control at home. Walked in the door screaming help my fiance says so he helps me to the couch and he said I puked so bad, that I stumbled to the bathroom nearly fell on my face then fell off the toilet reaching for the toilet paper. My final straw was having someone clean up my puke because I wasnt in control. Also the damn hangovers gosh they was so bad.

11 Likes

Eyes being opened from friends dying from alcohol and overdoses, ruined friendships and relationships, my reckless actions that resulted from my drinking, my physical health…the list goes on and on.

18 Likes

Ultimately I think it’s because I am tired. I’m tired of the bullshit that follows with using.

15 Likes

Too many late nights lying in bed staring at the ceiling due to alcohol induced insomnia and hating myself.

My mother had died from alcohol related issues and when I found myself starting to have signs of those same issues starting I was soooo angry at myself for letting it get to where I was. I knew if I kept on the path I was on I would be dead at 69 just like she was…just like her father and her mother too. Genetics are not in my favour so I needed to do something NOW.

21 Likes

Hated who I became when I drank. Which was all the time so I hated myself. That paired with being diagnosed with liver cirrhosis at 28 kind of did it in for me

12 Likes

Life was a garbage dump, death looked like a pretty good way out.

Then 1 night, 1 of many nights, it got bad enough for DCS to take my kids and for me to be taken to the detox in the back of a squad car.

Got a list of tasks to accomplish to be deemed fit to have my kids back, ran at it full steam, got my kids back and have been sober since.

Don’t matter the reason of why you get sober, it’s just a better way of living in my view. Glad all that ugly shit happened, I’d probably be ashes by now.

17 Likes

Hated waking up feeling like shit and not giving my all to family and work.

13 Likes

My health. Hated waking up depressed and panicky every morning full of anxiety. Was tired of feeling like a lazy failure. Was just time to grow up.

13 Likes

Same. Exact flipping same for me.

3 Likes

Getting divorced and losing everything… Job… Friend everything…
Can’t live like that anymore… Tired

8 Likes

I cant stand myself drunk, and I never wanted my kids to see it. Better is the only choice because I can be better then this.

7 Likes

I was messed up in the head getting depressed as well as it making all my PTSD symptoms worse my wife was a nervous wreck as id started to seizure i couldnt work couldn’t focus and it was just basically a whole lot of a shit storm and I got sick and tired of been sick and tired. Life is so much better now and I will never look back wooop

8 Likes

I realized that my drinking would one day kill me, but before death, I would lose everything I loved, cherished, or valued.

14 Likes

My four children. My oldest daughter would cry and tell everyone she is sad to see her dad drunk. Yea heartbreaker. Also it made my PTSD, depression, and panic attacks way worse.

7 Likes

I’m tired of getting drunk and feeling like an asshole when I’m around people. I’m tired of that guy and I’m tired of apologizing for him. I’m too old for this shit. Its not fun anymore

9 Likes