What smells better than it tastes?

Candles8

1 Like

Well, I want to know how people know that things like kids hair, pine trees, forest, and candles DON’T taste like they smell?!? :rofl:

4 Likes

Well, as far as forest earth goes, I’ve had my share of nasty trips out hiking. I’m curious as to how @DarrenUK came to his conclusion about petrol though :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes

I can vouch for petrol. As a backyard mechanic, I’ve had my share of siphoning mishaps!

8 Likes

Now the reason I want to follow this thread is to find out what nasty inedible things people have tasted :rofl:

1 Like

Where I am in Canada, it’s asphalt, but tarmac at an airport. Occasionally, blacktop. Then you get people from out east (the prairie provinces, maybe?) who pronounce it “ashphalt” and it drives me nuts!

2 Likes

Grapefruit, one of my favorite scents but can’t stand the taste.

How about poop?:poop:

I’d rather smell it than eat it.

2 Likes

Pine sol
Gasoline

Thanks for making me laugh.

Nothing interesting to report. No gasoline, asphalt and similar.
Clove.
Oh, and paper books (I really do respect the written word, but I ate one page of “The adventure of Tom Sawyer” - stupid bet).

2 Likes

Flowers when given as an apology and you have to eat crow till forgiven…

Wine. As a student of it, being sober is interesting, but my sense of smell is elevated now that I’m not consuming it. The aromas are stimulating when I’m able to pick it apart through smell more than ever before!

I’ve always said “ash”phalt :joy:

1 Like

Febreeze. Just sayin.

2 Likes

Chinese food

Red frosting on cupcakes or cake. I am one of the minority who can taste phenols which are present in red food coloring. It has a bitter taste to me. When I was little, I refused to eat anything with “red taste”. My Ma thought I was just making it all up.

When I was in college biology class the professor handed out these paper strips and asked us to put them on our tounges. A small percentage said “ewwww…bitter” while the majority just said “all I taste is paper”. The professor explained the genetics behind it…one student said “argh…tastes like red frosting” and I said “I hear you…”

So red on cake decorations. Looks good. Tastes like crap.

7 Likes

There’s also the asValt “variation” (chez nous).
Actually, the pre-electoral asValt, which looks more chewy and (since it lasts only for a couple of years - from one elections to another) I guess is easier to digest.

I’d noticed bright food colouring in those kid’s cakes from the grocery store tastes grossly bitter. I’d always just assumed there was like 900x the amount of necessary food colouring in it, but now I’m wondering if it was really only just 9x the amount of necessary food colouring, but had that red colouring present in most of the colours.

Quite likely. I can eat white, yellow, brown, green frosting, but blue, purple, pink, or red tastes awful.

3 Likes