What to do about my new sponsor

I seem to keep posting about this…! But here goes. Sometimes when it is your “stuff” it is hard to see what’s obvious.

I had a really great sponsor for a little over a year. I loved to work with her. I am not someone who has an easy time opening up with just anyone emotionally because they also have to be really smart and intuitive. And I usually have a sense very soon after I meet them, at least after having a couple of conversations with them, that if would be able to do that with them (that intuitive thing I was talking about!). So with my new sponsor, I keep going though things that are difficult for me and not calling her! Which isn’t good.

We haven’t started “working the steps” yet. So maybe a feeling of closeness would “grow” once we started doing them. But I think I should trust my intuition and move on. Any thoughts?? Work the steps regardless of how I feel? Or look for someone new?

As a side note, I lost weight and was in a good place with my old sponsor. I have gained back some of that weight since January and am not feeling as good as I was…

My first thought is I’m hearing a lot about why it won’t work before even getting started.

I had similar hang ups with my current sponsor. Took more cajoling than it should have to get me moving on what he laid out simply before me: The steps as they were taught to him as a suggestion for recovery. So was that on me or on them?

Once I accepted in faith and set to work, it played out better than probably anything I would have imagined. A friendship did form, but first and foremost he became a trusted mentor. YMMV!

2 Likes

I am here at a meeting she is also at. Neither of us said hi… She is always so serious, studying the Big Book before meetings!

Maybe you could go say hi?

If your not happy in your mind then id look for a new one but if you stick at it maybe you will bond , wish you well your decision.

1 Like

I have a new sponsor, and a new outlook. Glad I made the change! I didn’t bond with the old one – moving on was definitely the right solution for me.

4 Likes

Really glad that you found someone who is a right fit. Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

1 Like