What to do where you are

What to do when you’re on fire? (Spiritually, emotionally, mentally) Same thing as if you were really on fire…stop, drop, and roll. Stop what you are doing when the drinking/using thoughts hit. Stop the “one will be just fine, it will be different this time” Drop the resentments, hurt feelings, going back into the past. Drop the pity party because of the result of your actions. Roll with life’s punches. Roll with feelings that pass, uncomfortable moments. This too shall pass. Every single one of us has a bad moment in sobriety. That’s part of life. It strengthens us to keep going by doing the next right thing; to stay in the moment without getting caught up in the fear of the past or present. Halting when we see we are going back into old patterns; it won’t be different this time so drop the insane expectations. Drop the victim card; we are accountable for our own actions and perceptions. Roll into a plan of recovery and relapse prevention so the patterns don’t keep repeating themselves. There’s a lot of talk about “what I won’t do”… What are you willing to do for your recovery IN sobriety?

12 Likes

So true. I was feeling anxious about something last night, normally this would be a trigger for me to drink. Thankfully I didn’t, nor did I want to, instead I took the advice I’ve read on here and told myself to accept it, that I was being irrational and that it would soon pass.

I don’t get anxiety often, it’s an uncomfortable feeling and I feel sorry for those who suffer alot. I need to look at the situation which triggered it and deal with it, it was caused by me and my own insecurities and totally fabricated in my head. Crazy the way it comes on.

I think the next few steps of my programme will help with it as I do the resentment exercise etc. Planning to do it this weekend.

1 Like