What was your first movie at the cinema

There a reason why it’s gone straight to dvd then! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

pound stretchers bargain bin.

2 Likes

Could have been Escape from Witch mountain!

3 Likes

Cannonball Run at a drive-in. My big sister took me with her bf, without our parents consent of course. :joy:

3 Likes

Gosh, I wish I could remember. Probably some Disney movie.

When I was little my great aunt used to babysit me and my cousins. She used to take us to this little movie theater.

To save money she’d have us make little treat bags she snuck into the movie and let us have when we sat down.

Ah, simpler times.

3 Likes

My mum used to get into the pics for a sixpence and a jelly jar

3 Likes

What’s a jelly jar, and why? :thinking:

1 Like

After the war glass was short and a jam jars were being recyled so the movie houses used to sell back to the glass makers

2 Likes

This is interesting stuff

Exchanging jam jars for Cinema entrance

Some of the cinema memories we have collected talk about how you were once able to pay to get into the cinema with jam jars. Some cinemas would exchange entrance for a jam jar or two, hoping they would be clean and empty but sometimes they still had jam in! The cinema would then take the jam jars to the local scrap dealers who would pay them money for the empty glass jars.

3 Likes

This is when I miss my Grandma. She was an usher for a few years. Would have liked to have reminisced with her about this.
My Mum also had lots of post-war stories.

1 Like

Thanks rays I find it really interesting

1 Like

I was born 7 years after the second world war i rem taken coupons to the shops food and stuff still on ration , happy days

3 Likes

The first cinematic adventure I can remember was Terminator 2. I was eight and I loved it :joy: my parents are kinda cool.

2 Likes

Thanks ray for sharing your history

My Mum talked about ration coupons a lot.
Word would spread that a local shop had butter, and they’d be a rush of kids queuing up around the block on their Mum’s behalf.

It’s so hard to imagine. Three outfits too. One for best, one to wear, and one in the wash/dry process (all by hand).

2 Likes

These young ones today dont have a clue what it was like before technology. my first flat when i got married to my first wife 1973 was a single end one room and outside toilet used to bath in the sink and gas lamps in the close past my driving test first time july 1970 off to bed now lol

2 Likes

Probably not the first movie I ever saw in a cinema but the first one I remember is when my parents took me to see the movie Aliens. I had nightmares for about a week!

1 Like

The Lion King and it was the first movie to make me cry. :lion: Mufasa :sob:

2 Likes

Grease at the drive-in. Loved that movie.
Not the first, but the first to leave an impression.

3 Likes