What you have to look forward to is often overlooked

I see a lot of topics concerning length of abstinence. The Sober Time app is great at setting short term goals. It really helps having the countdown on different milestones. But what does it really mean? There are entirely too many relapses. I have seen countless posts through the years where I am following someone at their different days, and boom at 3 months, 6 a year,…a relapse. They usually come on and post regret about the relapse, and you never see them again. Gone.

I am 48 years old, and drank heavily on and off for 28 years. I always drank after work. There were times I drank at work, drank all night, blackout of course, drank for weeks didn’t eat much, didn’t drink for times. Varied. I would drink in the day and then times not drink during the day. Quit for a month, a few days. Never really felt better. I finally quit for good a couple years ago. I rarely check my days anymore.

What you have to look forward to is often overlooked. Imagine a better life.

I should write down all the positive things. Off the top of my head. Here are some things.

Sleeping normal, eating normal, bowel movements normal (very rarely get diarrhea), lasting energy, waking up normal, better memory, better at reading, learning is easier, writing easier, concentrating, less coughing, don’t get angry as easy, more patience, less paranoid, can drive whenever, go to bed normally, unwind more natural, on and on.

I have plenty of regrets from drinking, but very few since I quit. You aren’t missing anything. All the events are still there. Your buddies everyone. You can still hang. Or you can avoid and cange your settings. You need to get comfortable, so you can handle them and the situation. Everyone will respect you after a while and they admire the fact that you are not drinking. Imagine a kid at events, they don’t drink. What is the secret?

The secret is to be a kid again, afresh. Or just avoid the triggers for a while.

21 Likes

Notice that all “human” things improve. The mind, body, sleep, eat.

2 Likes

This, exactly! Nice one Bill!
There is no big rainbow at the end, no big ticker tape parade.
But you do get to live a better life! And enjoy the benefits of that life.
A life free from your addiction if you just open your mind to the possibility!
Open your heart to the endless possibilities.
Get outside of your current thinking and rise above all the negatives, and anxieties!
And there are plenty of people out there to help. In my experience an addict in recovery will always be ready to help you!
Wherever you meet them!
Relapse is just the addiction trying to keep you. You make that choice to drink/use, it’s you that physically picks it up.
Your brain may be telling you to. But you can be strong enough to say no!
Thanks Bill great post. Good for you on your sober time.

6 Likes

I would agree that there is a mountain of benefits waiting to be had in sobriety but also think that the knowledge of these alone is not enough to make people quit. I like you and most people here did the drink, decide I’m done, stop, get a bit of sober time, drink again cycle for many many years. I knew the benefits of a sober life, I’d lived it for over a year at one point but that wasn’t enough to stop me drinking again. Yes there are many people on here that relapse and that makes me frustrated and sad but not frustrated for me, frustrated for them. It doesn’t have to be like that, it doesn’t have to be part of the process but it does have to be when that person is truely ready to stop and these people are not and no amount of telling them the benefits will change that, many of them already know the benefits anyway. All we can offer is support until they come to the point where they realise for themselves they are done with drinking and discover just what it is they personally need to do to stop. For me it was shear desperation, reaching out for help and realising I was not able to do it alone. This time I asked for help and this time everything is different but I had to come to the conclusion for myself that I was finally done and do the work to change my mindset. Once I’d reached that conclusion it’s been pretty plain sailing, not a walk in the park but certainly not the struggle I used to face going it alone. I see these people as at various points of where I was, still in some form of denial and romanticising, I desperately wish I could tell them there is another way and make it all better but unfortunately they have to find that way for themselves when they are ready

5 Likes

What… No parade? Not even a little one? Lol

Good post.

I’m still counting the days (16 so far), but that’s really because I feel proud of myself every day that passes. I guess you can say I throw myself a mini parade every day. I am expecting a pot of gold at the end, but the end for me will be knowing at the very end I didn’t waste the rest of my life by being drunk.

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know where I’d be if my doctor literally didn’t tell me I can never have a drink again or I will die. Liver cirrhosis was handed to be at the age of 27 due to 12 years of constant drinking. I have a reason to never pick up the bottle again-my life. I look at it as a blessing. I’m a very impulsive person so I can’t imagine not having the huge health factor (not that you all don’t, mine is just put under a microscope) not in the equation. It’s all about self worth and knowing what you want. I commend each and every one of you here who are fighting each day to stay clean and sober for yourself and loved ones. It can not be easy, I know it isn’t for me…thank you for this post! Sober life really is the better life.

5 Likes

I loved counting the days in the beginning. I mean it really helped. It still does to many after years and years. I wish there was an easy way out, there isn’t. I just want to say what is waiting, a reason. A reason for yourself. Obviously it doesnt work for everyone. I wish I was in better shape, for example. Some people work out all the time, eat super healthy. I do on occasion, lol. Same thing, whatever works.

2 Likes

I agree. Great post. I love that I now fall asleep because I’m tired…not because I’m sloshed. I like that I can remember things…though not everything. My brain is quite full. I love that my skin has evened out. My hair is softer. My double chin has firmed up. My eyes have some shimmer. I just LOOK better.

I do wish I lost weight as easily as others have…but some of that might be because of age. Some is DEFINITELY because of ice cream!!

But mostly I like making proper connections with people. I have become a little bit more of a hermit (I’m less likely to get out since I don’t have my alcohol crutch) but when I do connect with people it is much better. I’d rather have fewer but deeper connections anyways.

5 Likes

I don’t sleep more than 5 or 6 hours, but it is definitely my favorite part. I mean, I went more than half my life without proper sleep. I just think it is so cool to be able to lay down and sleep. Simple things.

Great post.

I really needed to read this right now. I’ve been feeling a bit fragile as social season is in full swing and I felt as though I was missing out… until I remember all the other stuff I would miss out on when I was going full swing haha.

Love this post. Thank you. Heres to me becoming the kid I was nevertheless :pray::two_hearts::grin:

2 Likes