What's some of everyone's triggers

“We Can And Do Recover”

It really is hard for me to know what my triggers were. I drank when happy,sad,annoyed, pretty much any day ending in “Y”.

When I quit the only thing I really noticed was that my cravings were more intense in new social situations I had never done sober before (I.E. First wedding, first birthday party, seeing old friends for the first time). The other trigger was events where I didnt know anyone.

3 Likes

Not going to AA meetings :smirk:

3 Likes

Only 12 days in and I’m still trying to figure them out. So far:
Family
Social situations where I used to drink
Friends I drank with
Certain foods I loved paired with booze
Insomnia

1 Like

I know what you are saying @Gotno I really never liked the idea of triggers. I could drink for any reason and for the opposite too. My choice is to drink that first one or not after that I’m on addiction autopilot.

5 Likes

I think I was born with a gun to my head.

2 Likes

People I used to use with.
Memories of my past.

5 Likes

Boredom, Boredom, Boredom

Wanting to be more sexual- huge

Wanting to be more social and connect with people-huge

Wanting to feel liberated and express myself.

Alcohol is a trigger for my drug use

5 Likes

Still figuring it out. Seeing discussions about using online, boredom, and stress. Any sort of uncomfortable feeling.

2 Likes

Triggers for me.

I romanticize the idea of drinking. I am pretty sure its from watching to many movie or reading books. “The mysterious girl drinks red wine” or we have this type of event or holiday so we must drink this themed concoction. So it often depends. I honestly have set back and observed myself drinking and I don’t like being out of control so its this weird set of ideals I have.

2 Likes

Location, namely where I previously purchased alcohol.

After that pretty much anything… Any excuse, any type of mood, any reason or justification whatsoever.

2 Likes

I’ve been learning there are no triggers… Only decision points.

Sure…i drank due to many things - so i thought/rationalised/bargained/argued/balanced - but in the end all i did was make a decision.
I decided to drink.
I can decide not to drink too.

“Triggers” were really shit that i made up to justify shitty decisions.
I needed something to blame other than me.

6 Likes

I didnt need triggers i just drank because im a Alky , but that was decades ago. keep on trucking

5 Likes

Oh well, there are a many. First of all:

1. Ballermann Music
    This is a special german party music. The topics of this songs are Party, Mallorca (The Home of the “Ballermann”), Sex and most of all, songs about boozing. The abuse of alcohol gets gloryfied thereby.

Most of this songs are in german, but here is an english version of one of those songs. Attention: Trigger-Warning. Please don’t listen if your DOC is alcohol!

Ingo ohne Flamingo - Boozing (Official English Partyhit Version). Ballermann music is my absolute number one trigger.

1. Thinking about the good drunken moments (extremly dangerous)

2. Anger

3. Stress

4. Sucesses or Fails (Fails have the worst impact)

5. Feeling good after longer breaks from alcohol, after two weeks or longer. The first hours are heaven. Then you drink again: Its ok. Then you drink a third time and then: Welcome back to hell😏

6. Beating nervousness or to get relaxed in social situations(Checkouts in darts, flirting with women)

7. Getting animated by others (“Come on ThePower, just one, its my birthday”)

Well, i guess thats it​:thinking::smirk:

Primarily boredom, but also dwelling on things I’ve lost since divorce. Drifting into a mood of negativity without knowing it.

1 Like

I’ve learned that having money is a trigger for me. So paydays are an obstacle. I also find boredom and intense emotion a trigger. I am doing my best right now to plan ahead for where my money goes on paydays and then making sure I follow through with my plans (and not try to manipulate my money to be able to get anything). Intense emotion is a tough one bcuz I need to practice grounding and breathing etc to help me pull through. Sometimes it doesn’t work and it takes HOURS to get that craving to go away. I had 7 days and threw it all away :frowning: I’m really disappointed in myself. But I am learning something new about myself and my patterns everytime.

4 Likes

During the second lockdown in london uk i lived on the 24 hr zoom meetings but i dont feel confident enough in myself to go to a face to face meetingdue to the shame of being an alcoholic and the weight gain doesnt help either. Or the fact i try to find meeting that are just out of my area too, something that i need to overcome.

I had 8 years of sobriety, and a year and a half ago i lost it.

Im back to day 19 now and find this app really helpful but i know if i want to sustain my sobriety i need to get confident in myself and attend face to face meetings.

1 Like

I definitely agree with you @TripnMN . When I label something a trigger I almost feel as if I am giving it power over me.

I drank to avoid any and all adversity I faced in my life. I could not see that while in active addiction. It became blatantly obvious to me once I had quit drinking and socialized with other addicts on this forum.

1 Like

Usually Thursdays I would start drinking and do it thru the weekend! I have been doing it for years! With in the last few months I got it down to Saturday and Sunday (my day off) and at one point I cut out Sunday for a few weeks. I have come to the realization I can not control my drinking ! I going head first and going to ID the triggers and really work on not only quiting the drinking but take care of my self