Whats the best thing you get out of AA meetings?

Id like to know what all you lovley folks get out of and enjoy about going to meetings.
I think the positivity in this post will help any new comers to see how enlightening and positive meetings really are.
For me its just a feeling of being in a place where everyone cares and feeling the love within the room.

3 Likes

Getting clean. The rest is just a beautiful bonus.

3 Likes

Of course, getting clean is numero uno. However, getting sober has been a trip. Re-learning who I am amd how to socialize in a healthier way. Alcohol amd addictions made me a selfish person, and much more closed off from others. I had party friends and I had plenty of schoolmates that were friendly to me, but I had kept everyone I knew sober at an arms length to hide my addictions. Becoming sober, I’ve needed to work on opening up more to people. AA has helped tremendously with that.

I’ll never forget how when I first showed up and listened and introduced myself… I just felt like “these are my people.” The addicts, the people struggling with inner demons. I had the same experience in another city when I attended with a friend (his homegroup). Same deal. I don’t have to perform, I can just be who I am. No pressure. I love that. It’s helped me get closer with all those people I know sober. I didn’t tell anyone at first, but other people knew something was up. When I finally mentioned it, everyone was very supportive. A few kinda laughed n joked at first, but one buddy chimed in he was proud of me.

The group I’m at, we use the Daily Reflections book… so it’s much more than just addictions. We talk about brotherhood, faith, growing up, etc. It’s great.

5 Likes

Fellowship. For me anyway, that’s what keeps the work of living soberly real every day. These people know me, they understand this affliction, they share with me. We rely on and encourage each other. Tonight we kept laughing at these things that would make most people (I’m guessing) weep or grit their teeth. It’s that feeling of relief and joy at having been rescued – together!

4 Likes

The fellowship is definitely high on my list. It’s nice having real friends.

3 Likes

The fellowship is big. Lot’s of understanding and love. People actually care about each other. Lot’s of laughter and happiness.

Got my sanity back when I started accepting I wasn’t God, the spirituality has been a massive blessing.

Got a good design for living by following a few simple principles. They could teach these principles to people who aren’t addicts and alcoholics.

1 Like

I love the support you instantly feel. Like they will not let you fail. I’ve only been to a couple but each time I walked out with my head held a little higher.

1 Like

Did anyone say free coffee yet? That’s what I tell newcomers at meetings.

I came for the free coffee but stayed once they told me I didn’t have to drink anymore. Mostly they see I’m joking.

2 Likes

How could you all forget the free biscits and cookies !!

2 Likes

Totally. People who understand the struggle in a similar way – a way that you just can’t if you haven’t been there. And people who want to see you live!

I’m in love with the fellowship. I’m not AA, I’m NA but the steps are the same, and I’ve been in AA meetings too.
My first day in NA was horrible, a lot of drama, tears and deception, still it was the best day I’ve ever had because today my life is very different.
I learned that I can enjoy life without drugs. The recovery part is my favorite part: I recovered my family, my interests, my emotions, the life that drugs took away. Everyday is a challenge but that’s what makes it interesting for me. I’m still struggling but I don’t feel lonely anymore because I have NA, supportive friends and fellows, and most importantly through the steps I know I can count on myself.

1 Like

I consider myself a coffee taster now. :stuck_out_tongue: