What's your biggest motivation to stay clean and sober?!?

Motivation towards sobriety?

My biggest motivation is not dying an early death.

I don’t want to leave this world until my children have the experience needed to handle my absence.

I know I have no control over that, but if I can influence it by my lifestyle, then I’ll give it a shot, they deserve that from me.

8 Likes

I have two…#1 my son, who deservesthe best mom I can be. And #2…Me. I LOVE SOBER ME!! I still have so much I want to accomplish, and drinking is such a life/time/money hog, I don’t need it in my life!!!

5 Likes

Inner peace.

6 Likes

Oh my god so many!

Feeling less anxious
Being present
Living a healthy life
Having more time to achieve my goals
Look better
Feel more energetic
Feel less depressed
Stop smoking cigarettes and doing drugs when drunk
Make better choices

I could go on

5 Likes

wanting to be a better mother and fear of dying an alcoholic death

My mom died from alcohol overdose at 56. She only drank for 10 years. Didn’t take long for her to die from it. My brother is at super high risk of dying from drugs these days.

5 Likes

Love this. I recognise this concept of no longer having to give mental energy to thinking about moderation. This was so enlightening to me. It gives me so much more space to live

4 Likes

Not dying: Not burning my house down with my kids in it. Not driving into a building or a person and killing them or myself. Not overdosing on benzos because I’m blackout drunk and waking up in the hospital.

2 Likes

My twin boy and girl, born after 2 and a half years of me being clean. They and my fiancee are my life.

4 Likes

I’m on day 29 and have been reflecting on this so much lately. First and foremost is for my kids. I am ashamed of how absent I was in the past by not living presently with them every second. I think back on times that my kids woke up in the middle of the night super sick with one thing or another and how I couldn’t just drive them to the urgent care clinic. I think back on times of them waking up or being up past bedtime and me being downright mean because it was supposed to be “me” time. The times I left my oldest daughter with my parents when she was a toddler so I could go party. The list could go on forever. One thing I realized was that I had constantly been beating myself up for past transgressions, essentially not loving myself. What would I do when I wasn’t loving myself? Turn to booze. I’m not a big church goer, but my husband tries to be to deal with his own demons. There was a homily one of the priests gave once about how a man should love his wife as he loves himself. My question then was, “Well what do you say about a man who doesn’t love himself?” Then I thought about this from my own perspective and put it into context as a mother loving her children. I can’t love my children in the right way without learning to love myself first. Ever since I ditched the wine witch, I have started to accept myself and LOVE myself again… and what drives that love for myself is knowing that I’m a strong enough person to defeat this evil that has been looming over me for over a decade. I don’t need booze. I need myself. And my kids also need myself. So now I am loving my kids the right way by learning to love myself again. That’s all the motivation I need to never drink again.

4 Likes

So many beautiful reasons to stay sober. I don’t have kids and I have loathed myself for many many years. Add that to all the craziness in the world and the fact that I’m not particularly close to my family, and I could never see a reason to stay sober. I have finally realized that yes, life is hard. And yes, the world is nuts. But… I have found that I can deal with these things much better when I’m sober. I just feel so much better physically and mentally. I have come to accept myself for who I am and not hate myself, and also accept my family for who they are. Unfortunately the world will probably always be nuts, but that doesn’t mean that I have to spend my time here alternately drunk and hungover. Even just small things like going to a good Farmers Market or going for a nice walk make me happy these days. At the end of my life, I don’t want to think that I wasted it all drinking… what a scary thought! Keep fighting the good fight folks, and I will too. Have a great day! :blush::blush::blush::blush:

2 Likes

My sister is sick, has young kids and is finding it tough to make ends meet so every dollar I would be spending on booze I send to her. It’s a powerful motivator!

3 Likes

For me, its hugely about taking control of my life - 11 years of drink and drugs was too long to just be a party. Its not possible to live an healthy, normal life while drunk and high all the time and I want to have better relationships with the people around me that Ive destroyed through drink and drugs.

Also, I’ve always really wanted a specific guitar - which im not allowed until day 366 at least :stuck_out_tongue: so thats also helping.

2 Likes