When I make it through the afternoon / night

Today is day 5. The most rewarding feeling came this morning - I woke up & KNEW today was already so much better bc yesterday not only did I stick to my sobriety but I didn’t make the choice out force or opportunity, such as:

1. Having to pick up my child
  2. Knowing that I was going to see my mother or my spouse and they would know by the look at my eyes or by smelling me.
  3. Having extra time that I could steal away

BUT I drove home and hour early on a Friday and didn’t go by the store or stop at a bar !!!

Relevance: this year alone I have done two different months of sobriety one in January and one August, when I broke my sobriety each time I’ve went off into different rabbit holes of darkness that really have uncovered alcoholism that I never knew was there.

I have all my own personal reasons for why alcohol has reared its ugly head when I’m almost 38 years old or maybe I’ve just never noticed because society sort of uses alcohol as a badge of honor…

All I know is a dream of being alcohol free a dream of being sober and not needing it ever since reading that book by Annie Grace about your subconscious mind and alcohol—- it’s all I can do but to know how much of my use and “love” of booze is programmed into what I do and how I do it.

I know the times of day that it bothers me but now I wake up knowing and dreading that the time is going to come. I’m generally not a morning drinker but the fact that I know in the afternoon that I’m going to want to have it it makes it an all day ping-pong match in my head.

Additionally it’s still hard because each time I get sober I lose everybody that I hang out with not because I’m not invited only because I know that I cannot go somewhere where alcohol is out and not drink.

Maybe I just need to start writing down my feelings more because I could go on and on rambling and rambling

10 Likes

Congratulations on 5 days! :sparkles::slightly_smiling_face:

5 days is awesome! your through the worst of the physical withdrawals. Now is when the mental challenges start.

Your reflecting on your past behaviors, and learning from those. I haven’t read that book yet, a lot of people here have found it very helpful.

This is my favorite chapter of my favorite recovery book. It helps me keep it real.

Learning from reflecting on our past. Learning more about alcoholism, and making changes in lifestyle is a formula for success. Reaching out and getting support is HUGE! Here you are!

Friendships are one of the biggest challenges to walk through. My friends that I drank with always tell me I wasn’t that bad. I have slipped because I didn’t set strong enough boundaries. I felt lonely at times. Over time I noticed that they still complain about the same old problems when I do visit with them. Most of those problems are alcohol related.

We are still friends, I’m just not their drinking buddy anymore.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Your off to a great start! Keep up the good work!

I started doing hobbies to fill the void of time I used to spend drinking. Now I run to heathy activities instead of the bottle. Drink was my normal activity. Not anymore.

3 Likes

Thank You for all your words and the video !!!

1 Like