When is the right time

So for the last 189 days I’ve been sober…to some that may be a little thing because they have a year or 2 years or I even met a man a church last weekend… his wife is on my Facebook…they are in there late 80’s… she read my 6 month post and he
found me at church Sunday to tell me he is 35 years sober…I was blown away… to be honest I’ve hid my addiction so good people where shocked to find out I drank so much over 4+ years… this being my second time getting sober…first time was a little over a year ago and I made it 3 months…this go around and feeling like its my last I tell people about my addiction… have no secrets… if telling people and being honest can help one person then its worth every second of anything I have to go through… sorry I’m rambling… so my question is " when should I stop counting the days or do I ever stop counting the days I’ve been sober??’… I honestly have no wants to ever relapse and no cravings to drink… off all my meds to help stop drinking…just wondering what u guys that have supported me through this tuff journey thought or have done… thank u

9 Likes

Man i hope to hit 35 years one day to sheesh talk about record breaking kudos to them ! Will get there to me personally when i hit the 1 year mark with Alcohol and Tobacco ima stop counting and never look back just my own preference other keep counting totally up to you ! Happy to hear your not craving no more im excited for your journey my friend cant wait until you hit all your milestones

2 Likes

I will have 270 (9 months) on Sunday. I use the day counter, because for me it’s one day at a time. Whatever I did yesterday to stay sober, I do that today. For me also, it’s a daily mission to stay busy and not want to drink. I crave ice cold beer so bad.

4 Likes

Man oh man if i could go for a cold one right now but we got this i have about the same time i hit 10 months next week dont give up keep fighting the fight !!!

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the support and congrats.

2 Likes

Thanks !!! Same to you 9 months not an easy task day by day wins the fight

Yeah for me it’s a day to day game. Routine everyday. Keep the pace. Walk the line.

1 Like

Reminds me of Johny Cash walk the line i dont know if you have heard that song its a good one im going to go play it now :rofl:

1 Like

Never! Eventually, days counted turn to months, and then years, etc. But you’ll still count them, and they will be special then as they are now. :blush:

Congrats on 6 months! Thats great!!

4 Likes

Thats a good question that i also thought about before. I dont actually count the days, the app does it for me. and then i dont obsess about checking the days. It can be weeks till i check the actual number. I think the answer depends on each one of us but, to me, i think one day i will stop counting the days, after years like you said.

Also, i used to count the days by hand till i got this app last year. And to me that was way more meaningful because i had to think about the addiction everyday and i knew at any given time how many days i had. Now with the app i have an idea about the days but i dont know precisely, and i dont even think much about it. Its just there automatically.

1 Like

I personally don’t think I’ll stop counting in some format as Dan above mentioned. Either with weeks/months/years.

That’s awesome you have the possibility to interact with someone with so much clean time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mate, you are early days, slow down.
189 days is amazing work, well done!
I know how I felt, I was still getting used to having that triple digit.
Don’t worry about when or if you stop counting numbers. This is something that will be whatever.
I’m finding myself counting days at the moment because I’m heading towards all the sixes but for most of this year I’ve not really bothered. But saying that, there will always be an element of knowing how long we’ve been sober. Just like we count our years of life. It’s a big thing.
It’ll be what it will be mate. Sit back and live each day as it comes.
That’s all we can do.

2 Likes